German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve noticed that if I’m out with my dog on a hot day and he’s running hard he will most of the time end up stopping and having a case of diarrhea. He’s usually slobbering and panting hard for a good while even after I give him water. It’s like he’s so hyper that he runs until he physically can’t handle anymore. It’ll go on for about 30 minutes until he finally cools down in the shade. Is this normal?

·
Registered
3 Posts
If your dog is only experiencing this after he drinks water from running around in the heat, it could be the water is too cold and causes his intestines to cramp. When I was a small girl I'd ride my bike for forever in the FL and GA summer heat and come in and drink a big glass of OJ, or a Sunny D, and nearly every time this would happen. If your dog has prolonged diarrhea then bring him to the vet and get him checked out as it could be something more serious and lead to dehydration etc.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I think it could...How old is your dog? You may want to dial back his activity during really hot weather.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He’s a year old. Like I said I don’t push him or anything, he does it on his own. I’ve never been able to wear this dog down to the point where he just lays down and quits lol.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I know, with some dogs you have to make that decision for them! How old is he?

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
I have found that some dogs if they hold their bowel movements it can cause diarrhea. My guess would be that he is so excited to be running around that he won't stop to go when he should. Further to that he should not be running until he's exhausted and this is probably adding to the problem.
Up until Shadow was about 3 or 4 the only way to keep her still was to crate her. So every couple of hours I would put her up for 15-20 minutes, just to settle her down. When we were playing I would stop her every 10-15 minutes and do some leash work or basic obedience, just to calm her and then I would let her run again.
Some dogs are simply incapable of self regulation so, as Tim said, you do it for them.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I’ve noticed that if I’m out with my dog on a hot day and he’s running hard he will most of the time end up stopping and having a case of diarrhea. He’s usually slobbering and panting hard for a good while even after I give him water. It’s like he’s so hyper that he runs until he physically can’t handle anymore. It’ll go on for about 30 minutes until he finally cools down in the shade. Is this normal?
There is a saying "Take dog out 7 times, poops once. Take dog out to run once, poops 7 times". Yes, its normal.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Our nongsd does! He is very short haired, inside most of the time. And true with kids too! Lol!! Dark soft drinks seemed to set it off on a hot day!

·
Registered
31,829 Posts
Yes, it can. Exercise him when it's cooler either in the evening or mornin. make sure he's well hydrated.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If it's really hot and my dog exercise a lot, she sometimes gets diarrhea.

But it's just a one time occurrence (only during our time outside). Once we get home diarrhea doesn't continue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts