German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is kind of a weird question, but I think my 6 mo. old is in heat, there's blood...my question is, I am dying for her to get to play with my mom's puppy (5 mo. old maltese) they are bff's, if her giardia test comes back clear today. But now that she is in heat, I don't know if she can. But I mean, he's all of 5 pounds, and is only 5 months old. I mean, is there anything to worry about there??

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
They can't play un supervised as a pup can impregnate a larger dog even if young and female is much bigger or other way around.

Also dogs go crazy for a female in heat, annoying her and at the wrong time some females can be very defensive. During heat time I do have males around but wouldn't leave them alone and will separate when I'm not around. Fighting and tension can and will surface more at heat time.

·
Super Moderator
32,545 Posts
Unless you want to risk puppies it's best to keep her completely separate from un-neutered male dogs until after her heat is over. With him being so young it may not be that likely that they'd mate, but if it were me, I wouldn't take the risk anyway. He's not going anywhere, so let them play in a month or so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts