German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I mean is - can they associate a thing (item) with an action that their owner always picks up before something they don't like happens and take it and "hide" it?

I have a mystery here and I don't think they can make the association - otherwise, we'd probably be hearing all kinds of stories about everything from shock collars to clippers missing - but I want this question out of my mind and I'm not 100% sure....

I am a creature of habit and put my change and credit cards in the same spot. When I go out I pick up the two credit cards just before I leave. They both turned up missing day before yesterday. I looked for them everywhere and they were nowhere to be found. As Murphy's Law is still in effect, about 15 minutes after I called and reported the cards lost.... I found one. It was on the rug just under the lower corner of my bed's wood leg.... I looked all around but the other card is nowhere in the vicinity and still missing. They were together.

Could she have taken these two cards and hidden them because she doesn't like me leaving the house? Can they make the association and carry out that type of action? From everything I've read this would be a series of steps necessary and not easily accomplished because they don't associate and follow thru the way we do on some things. Anyway, any experiences that you have had that this may be a possibility? Do I need to hide my credit card replacements from my dog???:surprise:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think it is possible, mine associate an item with an action. When I put makeup on before I leave the house they watch me. They have noticed I always pit eyeliner on last, so as soon as I put the eyeliner back in my makeup bag they run to the door. They miss nothing!! Oh and check your credit card bills for large petsore bills!!

·
Super Moderator
6,285 Posts
I agree with Karma.My dogs like to grab and carry things around that we handle or wear often.We keep wallets,keys,remotes,etc. out of reach or heaven knows where they would end up!

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol! Mine also knows all the steps and the last one that leads up to many things. It's funny how we are such creatures of habit without realizing it. From what I understand though, it would be hard for them to form thoughts that need to be linked together - such as if I do this because that would stop this from happening - I get my way... as that now thing can't happen.... It's a complex series with problem/action/resolution involved and I don't think a dog can do that, but not sure????

Many animals are tool users, but that is one step to get a reward (food usually) which would not be the same as what would be required here. Even with primates - all you really see is food/reward or action/stop pain or discomfort or danger. The requirement for this would, I think require higher thinking.??

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see that possibility. In fact, in the last almost two years she's been with me, she has never messed with anything when I'm gone. However - about 3 mos ago I came home and my computer screen was white and there was like hhhs typed on the screen. My keyboard was pushed out of it's normal spot. She has done this 4 or 5 times and it just happens that the area where I keep my change tray and credit cards are just to the right of the keyboard.... so the "scent" of the keyboard and c cards could be exactly what you're talking about. however...

the second component, taking that item, regardless of what it is (keys,remote etc) and putting it somewhere in a spot like hiding a bone.... is that what they do? Have people found remotes or keys not only taken but hidden?

·
Super Moderator
6,285 Posts
Nope,never hidden.Just moved to a different spot.Samson does like to bury food to hide it.He'll glance around to make sure the other ones can't see him.If they see him he finds a new spot.That's the only hiding behavior I've seen.

·
Registered
125 Posts
One of my parents shih tzu's takes guests shoes and puts them in the middle of the living the room. She knows people need shoes to leave and she doesn't like anyone leaving. She never plays with the, chews them or anything like that. Just picks them up and puts them in the living room. It's kind of funny but I'm pretty sure that's why she does it.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My younger golden used to take stuff all the time, most of the time he would bring it to me. One time he brought my phone, credit card and keys-I think he wanted to go somewhere. He was really bad at takjng my phone, he would pull it right off the charger. One time it was missing and I found it in the middle of the yard in the snow. I still hide the phone even now if he is around.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
What I mean is - can they associate a thing (item) with an action that their owner always picks up before something they don't like happens and take it and "hide" it?

I have a mystery here and I don't think they can make the association - otherwise, we'd probably be hearing all kinds of stories about everything from shock collars to clippers missing - but I want this question out of my mind and I'm not 100% sure....

I am a creature of habit and put my change and credit cards in the same spot. When I go out I pick up the two credit cards just before I leave. They both turned up missing day before yesterday. I looked for them everywhere and they were nowhere to be found. As Murphy's Law is still in effect, about 15 minutes after I called and reported the cards lost.... I found one. It was on the rug just under the lower corner of my bed's wood leg.... I looked all around but the other card is nowhere in the vicinity and still missing. They were together.

Could she have taken these two cards and hidden them because she doesn't like me leaving the house? Can they make the association and carry out that type of action? From everything I've read this would be a series of steps necessary and not easily accomplished because they don't associate and follow thru the way we do on some things. Anyway, any experiences that you have had that this may be a possibility? Do I need to hide my credit card replacements from my dog???:surprise:
Yes. Short answer.:smile2:

Sabi hated being brushed. Hated it. So she would steal the brush and bury it.
Lex used to hide the truck keys if I started loading crates, because it either meant she was going to the kennels for a while or I was bringing other dogs back.
If it was cold out my Dane would hide her leash.

Now we caught Sabs as a pup, on my bed with credit card and phone talking to the dial a bottle service. Not kidding. Sadly. They were amused. She also managed to order a couple of movies on pay per view throughout her life. She was either very smart or very lucky.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes. Short answer.:smile2:

Sabi hated being brushed. Hated it. So she would steal the brush and bury it.
Lex used to hide the truck keys if I started loading crates, because it either meant she was going to the kennels for a while or I was bringing other dogs back.
If it was cold out my Dane would hide her leash.

Now we caught Sabs as a pup, on my bed with credit card and phone talking to the dial a bottle service. Not kidding. Sadly. They were amused. She also managed to order a couple of movies on pay per view throughout her life. She was either very smart or very lucky.
Your dogs seem to be smart. Delgado hates being brushed too. He senses it immediately even when it's just an inch away. Seems he's prepared to bite my hand off any moment. But he never tried to hide it, let alone even think of doing it. Not sure if he's being a good dog or just a not-so-smart one. But I love him anyway :)

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Daisy hid her pill after cheeking them despite everything including moth sweeps. Found them in the yard ,under the bed in our bedroom . she hid things she liked more often ,Peanut butter jar she had opened and ate down to where her nose could not go further and she rolled under the bed in the guest room. I have to say though Sabi has got to be the master of all GSD super smart behavior. I thank god she and daisy never met or talked. I'm betting they know each other now and are taking over the other side. Lucky will be her unknowing accomplice.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
I hope Sabi is somewhere making friends:crying: She would have liked Daisy I think.

She was freaky smart and learned things I never taught or expected a dog to know. She would flip her nose and snort in a pretty universal gesture that clearly told me where to go in no uncertain terms. She would nod her head yes and shake her head no, and that cocked eyebrow was clearly meant to convey that she thought I was an idiot:wink2:

But she also learned to turn around and watch my 6 while I was unlocking gates or doors, I never taught her that. She learned to brace herself and help me off the ground if I was down, I never taught her that. She learned to identify many objects that I used daily and either find them or hide them dependant on her mood.
She hid things she liked from the other dogs and hid things she didn't like from me. Dog logic.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Yesterday Nitro removed his Sentinel chew from his food bowl, to the rug in the sitting area. I was feeling quite happy he had eaten it with his food, no fancy camouflage needed, until I found it later.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lol, My last GSD was an "expert" at pill extraction. The vet taught me how to give a pill with proper placement and how to trigger the swallow reflex. It sure helped me when I had a 14 year old dog and two 12 year old cats in the house.:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts