German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I live in OK and since we have severe weather ALL of the time, it's all over the news today, since there is a chance of tornadoes today.

Anyway, that got me thinking. Have your dogs ever acted differently before a weather event?

Roxy is almost 7 mos old but I haven't noticed anything different. We've had earthquakes before and she didn't seem to notice. This is her first potential tornado though.

I can tell the pressure is changing because I have a raging sinus headache. But Roxy seems just like her normal self :grin2:

·
Registered
30,371 Posts
I think some animals are very sensitive to barometric pressure and have learned to relate a certain feeling they get with the results (weather).

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I think some animals are very sensitive to barometric pressure and have learned to relate a certain feeling they get with the results (weather).
Dogs certainly know when storms are moving in. Last night Onyx was underfoot two hours before the storms hit. She isn't really afraid, but when Kacie was alive and showed anxiety during storms, Onyx fed off Kacies fear and also showed the same behaviors.
Karlo and Gambit don't really show any different attitude during severe weather.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe Roxy will be laid back then. If we have to get into our tornado shelter I'm bringing her with me. She's never been down there before. So we will see how that goes! She follows me everywhere though so I can't imagine it being too scary for her. Maybe it will be exciting for her because I haven't vacuumed it out yet so there are a bunch of dead leaves. She can try to eat them and it will keep me busy too, trying to keep her from eating them all. LOL

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
My dog, Max, became a little afraid after he happened to be home by himself during a pretty bad electrical storm. After that, we could almost always tell when a storm was coming by his behavior: restless, couldn't settle, panting and sometimes even hiding his head under a little table with a tablecloth.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, we survived our first severe weather! We didn't end up needing the shelter - the tornadoes were all very small and not too terribly close to my house. Roxy barked at the thunder and lightning and the hail but other than that she thought it was a great adventure.

Our fence got blown down so we have to get it replaced. We temporarily propped it up but now Roxy keeps going to that spot and trying to dig into the neighbor's yard and play with their border collie.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Allie can. I know if a storm is coming up because she moves all her toys onto the porch where they won't get wet.

Jelpy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts