German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today at work, I was showing a lady a picture of my gsd and granddaughter. I also noticed on a recent thread of a picture of a gsd and a baby, that a few people did not think it was safe. I trust my dog with my grandkids. I don't leave them alone together, but stills she loves kids. So the lady was telling me that she had a friend whose dog killed her 3 year old child. They said it happened right in front of them for no apparent reason. So I would like to hear what you think. I don't think things like that just happen out of the blue. That if you know your dog. you would be aware of how they are with your kid. The dog was not a gsd.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Your gsd is great with your grandkids and you supervise them. I disagree with the lady "for no apparent reason" there had to have been something going on or perhaps the dog had rabies.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I have a friend I work with that lets his grandaughter pet thier neighbors GSD. This dog loves kids too. But I have repeatedly warned him to keep a close vigil. It's not his dog for one, they pet her when she is in her yard, and you can never tell the history of the dog.

A dog attacking a 3 yr. old kid is possible but there is just too much missing from the story. Can't really comment on it. I know when stories like this are handed down with info missing, then the teller inserts what they think not what actually happened.

I had a friend up the street from me when I was a young kid. They got a beutiful GSD for him and his brother. Fantastic dog. They often had sleepovers during the summer and was common to have a cott outdoors on the patio. One of his brothers friends was bit by the dog. My friends mother went nuts! She was saying once they taste blood, or bite someone they will keep doing it. They got rid of the dog. It also came to light that this other kid that was bit was laying on the cott with a stick teasing the dog to grab the stick. The dog missed the stick and got bit on the ribs.

But it goes to show not all is as it appears sometimes. My dog plays rough. I wouldn't let a young child near my dog right now. It doesn't take much to do alot of damage mentally and physicaly to a child by a dog. I find it better to err on the side of caution. When he gets matured, then we'll see.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts