German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Font Rectangle Wood Paper Document

Hey, anyone who looks, I have a 5 y/o male who I got from an Amish breeder as a puppy. He has been healthy so far, besides shallow hip sockets per recent x-rays. I was 14 and was finally getting my dream dog, I didn't have any help so I didn't know anything besides looking at the dogs frame. Their dogs weren't health tested and there were other red flags that I can recognize now. I would really just like to know what kind of health issues I may be facing in the future and just overall, know more about his line and what makes him, him. I would love to know what region his line was from and if there are any notable names in it. I have tried to research his pedigree but didn't have time until I graduated college a couple days ago, now the research can commence! So if anyone has a second to look and give me your opinion on his pedigree I would greatly appreciate it!
Edited to add ss of pedigree
is this dog and the breeding something to be ashamed of? I’m proud of him but the breeding is not great and sort of embarrassing.

here is a link to part of his pedigree from pedigreedatabase.com

·
Registered
33,479 Posts
If you want to know the health of your dog then you should do a full Embark panel for genetic diseases and do hip/elbow xrays.

Then if you want people to tell you about the pedigree, you should provide it. Asking people to spend their time looking the dogs up and doing the pedigree research instead of providing won't get you very far. You can start by ordering a 5 generation pedigree from AKC. Take those names and look on pedigreedatabase.com

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I can tell you, by the registered names of the parents, that your dog is what we would consider BYB (Back Yard Bred), meaning probably no health clearances before breeding, no titles, no proper evaluation of drives, nerves, temperament, structure... What is back behind your dog in it's pedigree, is unknown without providing it's pedigree for evaluation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you want to know the health of your dog then you should do a full Embark panel for genetic diseases and do hip/elbow xrays.

Then if you want people to tell you about the pedigree, you should provide it. Asking people to spend their time looking the dogs up and doing the pedigree research instead of providing won't get you very far. You can start by ordering a 5 generation pedigree from AKC. Take those names and look on pedigreedatabase.com
Understandable, I have done the x-rays and they are good. Just didn’t know how to attach his pedigree.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can tell you, by the registered names of the parents, that your dog is what we would consider BYB (Back Yard Bred), meaning probably no health clearances before breeding, no titles, no proper evaluation of drives, nerves, temperament, structure... What is back behind your dog in it's pedigree, is unknown without providing it's pedigree for evaluation.
I know now it was a BYB, I didn’t have help picking a breeder as I was kept away from accessing people who would know. I wasn’t sure how to attach his pedigree but from what I have went back and found there was some titles.

·
Super Moderator
Cava, floofy supermodel
33,023 Posts
Just didn’t know how to attach his pedigree.
Do you have a link to it online? If so, just copy the link and paste it into your post.

If it’s on paper you can scan it into your computer or take a photo of it with your phone, and then upload it.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Technology Parallel

·
Registered
33,479 Posts
I know now it was a BYB, I didn’t have help picking a breeder as I was kept away from accessing people who would know. I wasn’t sure how to attach his pedigree but from what I have went back and found there was some titles.
Most backyard bred dogs came from somewhere. It's not surprising to go back a few generations and find titles. Why don't you see if you can get it loaded into pedigreedatabase and then you can provide a link.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I can read it. If you are on a phone or tablet, you can increase the size. It’s a hodgepodge mashup of American showlines and either WGSLs or working lines. It’s hard to know without looking up each kennel on pedigree database. Do you know how to do that?

WGSL:

Probably ASL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can read it. If you are on a phone or tablet, you can increase the size. It’s a hodgepodge mashup of American showlines and either WGSLs or working lines. It’s hard to know without looking up each kennel on pedigree database. Do you know how to do that?

WGSL:

Probably ASL
Thank you so much! I will look the kennels up now. I guess from what I am learning my dog is a mutt of different lines, he will always be well loved but I don't think his breeding is anything to be proud about lol. thank you again!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thank you so much! I will look the kennels up now. I guess from what I am learning my dog is a mutt of different lines, he will always be well loved but I don't think his breeding is anything to be proud about lol. thank you again!
What are you looking for to be proud about? His grandpa was in a movie? Or a police dog? Or won best in show? If you’re looking to wow a crowd of GSD enthusiasts, you might fall short, but that’s a tough crowd. Doesn’t mean you can’t be proud of where your dog came from.

·
Premium Member
11,525 Posts
A quick look through: I see big chunks of West German Showlines - some American Showlines - a few working lines and lots of pet breeding of non recognizable names/typical pet type names - Shadow this or that, Lady whatever, Smith's (any last name) Pretty girl TYPE names - which mean nothing serious about the breeders except making pups for typical back yard reasons.

Some of the showlines in the pedigree ARE pretty well known! Ranger and Tiga haus Martin are nicely bred European showlines with a few VA (top rating at Sieger show - ie National Championship in Germany). Hansel Stewart is pet bred for sure....cute non relatable names, no recognition factor there...Going further down, Woodside and Covy Hill are well known AKC show lines....and there is well known DDR (East German dog) Bodo Frafental....lots more that could be AKC showlines from way back or more pet breeding....

Hey - they are all GSDs, and if you are happy wiht him and he has good temperament and you are happy....you can figure the better genetics pushed through for him!

Lee

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
It’s not that simple. He’s not a mutt. A mutt has different breeds in their lineage. He is purebred but not thoughtfully bred.

·
Premium Member
11,525 Posts

WGSL:

I looked through 4 times now, and can't find Trick (Utz's call name)????? I saw this dog pretty often...he worked pretty decently in sport, and so did a few of his progeny. He was here locally....oversized (which is why he was sold to the US), but overall a decent dog - good temperament, not what you see now in SV showlines.

Lee

·
Registered
9,282 Posts
I had a BYB dog that I referred to as my "digging for worms and struck gold" dog.
He is YOUR dog. And he will be the best dog he can be if you are the best owner you can be. Don't get hung up on pedigree or lack thereof. That ship has sailed. You have what you have and that is all.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I looked through 4 times now, and can't find Trick (Utz's call name)????? I saw this dog pretty often...he worked pretty decently in sport, and so did a few of his progeny. He was here locally....oversized (which is why he was sold to the US), but overall a decent dog - good temperament, not what you see now in SV showlines.

Lee
On the printed pedigree posted here? Right hand column, up four from the bottom.

·
Premium Member
11,525 Posts

·
Administrator
10,466 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

here is a link to part of his pedigree from pedigreedatabase.com
It’s not that simple. He’s not a mutt. A mutt has different breeds in their lineage. He is purebred but not thoughtfully bred.
I call him a mutt as a nickname now because I had someone tell me he was mixed and someone else say he was a English shepherd?? lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A quick look through: I see big chunks of West German Showlines - some American Showlines - a few working lines and lots of pet breeding of non recognizable names/typical pet type names - Shadow this or that, Lady whatever, Smith's (any last name) Pretty girl TYPE names - which mean nothing serious about the breeders except making pups for typical back yard reasons.

Some of the showlines in the pedigree ARE pretty well known! Ranger and Tiga haus Martin are nicely bred European showlines with a few VA (top rating at Sieger show - ie National Championship in Germany). Hansel Stewart is pet bred for sure....cute non relatable names, no recognition factor there...Going further down, Woodside and Covy Hill are well known AKC show lines....and there is well known DDR (East German dog) Bodo Frafental....lots more that could be AKC showlines from way back or more pet breeding....

Hey - they are all GSDs, and if you are happy wiht him and he has good temperament and you are happy....you can figure the better genetics pushed through for him!

Lee
Thank you so so much! It is hard for me to recognize names when I am not in any sports or clubs, but we are trying to get out there now that I have time to. We actually have a dock diving class tomorrow at a training center near me that offers other sports, he may be a bit old to get started but its just for fun. I hope to learn more about pedigrees and breeding in the future, thank you again for your help!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts