German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was very disappointed to find out that Lexi is too young to get into obedience training! We had hoped to get her into a class in February when she will be five months, but unfortunately the class starts in January and she's not old enough! The next available class is not until April. I don't want to wait that long to get her trained. We are already doing basic stuff (sit, stay, etc), but I want her really, really, well trained. I live in a rural area with very limited options, this appears to be the only class in the immediate area. If it wasn't winter time driving a further distance would not be a big deal, but since I live in Michigan it really is a big deal!

So we are thinking we will try training her on our own, is there a good, easy to read, easy to understand book anyone can recommend? She especially needs some good leash training and trained to NOT jump up on people (and bite their faces!)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Beth

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
This is a good book to get started and it teaches you clicker training. After 4 years without a clicker, I am now a big fan of clicker training.

It starts with very basic exercises and also has more complicated behaviors.

101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog (Paperback)

http://www.amazon.com/101-Dog-Tricks-Activities-Challenge/dp/1592533256

Just reading on the Amazon page it says no clicker required. Anyway, if you are interested in clicker training (it's a good thing), Karen Pryor is the queen of clicker training.

http://www.clickertraining.com/basics

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
I found a lot of info on the web,then you have some videos to coach you.I also watch alot of the dog shows on TV to get guidance. I would work on her on your own till April then enroll her in that class.I too have waited and I didn't realize how Athena reacted to other dogs till last night.We had our first class.After the intitial shock of new people and dogs she was fine but I realized she really needed more socialization than she had gotten thru the summer.I am hoping next week she just walks in and doesn't react but we'll see.As far as the jumping,try turning your back on her when she does it and ignore her till she stops.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I like this book:

Building Blocks for Performance
by: Bobbie Anderson

and this one is good too

Purely Positive Training
by: Sheila Booth

I like where I go do my training. I have a 9 month old I'm just starting out and I jumped ahead and put him in a level 3 class ( More like an advance class) but I do stand aside and do most of my training alone.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Look for someone who does puppy classes and basic manners. I have enrolled my 9 wk old pup in it and he is learning already just from going to the first class(orientation) without him. The class (I) will teach him the basics and he will also learn to focus in a new environment.

·
Registered
850 Posts
http://www.dogwise.com is full of great books on obedience.

The Power of Positive Training by Pat Miller is great

I also like the Monks of New Skete books.

If you go to Barnes and Nobles and look in the pet section you can browse through a lot of training books that have training scheduled out for you. It is a good way to get started.

In addition, I would try finding a puppy class with basic manners as acurajane suggested! Good luck!

·
Registered
538 Posts
If the puppy class isn't an option, you might want to take her to as many places as possible for socialization (people and other dogs) while you work on the basics at home. The socialization is every bit as important as the obedience training.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I've just signed my four month old for a class in March, so she'll be 6 mo when it begins. In the meantime, we work on obedience at home and are doing a lot of socialization.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Suzanne Clothier's Flying Dog Press website also has some good training articles. You will need to register to view them (it's free), but it's worth it. They're at http://flyingdogpress.com/

A basic book on training I liked was Gerilyn Bielakiewicz's (I might have misspelled her name) "The Only Dog Training Book You'll Ever Need". It's a positive clicker training book. There's a second one, "The Only Dog Trick Book You'll Ever Need" that has some fun tricks in it and teaches step-by-step how to teach them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have just discovered a great book for understanding all other methods and books. It isn't the modern standard , but it is the foundation for german Shepherd training for almost 100 years!
The book is "Training Dogs:a Manual" by Colonel Konrad Most. Recently translated from the original German to English. It gives a historical perspective of how and where the training of German Shepherds come from.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Originally Posted By: Rafi's dadI have just discovered a great book for understanding all other methods and books. It isn't the modern standard , but it is the foundation for german Shepherd training for almost 100 years!
The book is "Training Dogs:a Manual" by Colonel Konrad Most. Recently translated from the original German to English. It gives a historical perspective of how and where the training of German Shepherds come from.
I have read that one, our K9 trainer uses it with his training and lent it to me to read. If I do recall, there may be some not so great methods in there, but the basic theory behind it is good. He emphasizes a dog is a dog, not a human and tries to train for their way of thinking.
Its just like any book. Read it, take what you like and feel will work and disregard the stuff you don't agree with.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
I know it sounds funny but "Dog Training for Dummies" is a pretty good book.
I don't know if it's good by itself but it's nice with several other books and methods

I also like "The Dog Listener." "How to Teach a New Dog Old Tricks" is another goodie. Look for these authors: Jan Fennell, Patricia McConnell, Ian Dunbar, the Volhards, I'm sure there are more but that's all I can think of right now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree with using this time for socializing your puppy. Unfortunately I did not socialize my current GSD the way I should have. She was so protective of me that a $1,000,000 umbrella policy was a necessity. I utilized the help of an animal behavioralist to break my dog of her attitude. Now I try and take her with me as much as possible. Socializing at an early age is important.

·
Registered
15,951 Posts
I'm going to second Sheila Booth's book. It has a lot of things to work with puppies on. It is one book I wish I'd had when mine were 3 months or so.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I know a lot of people can scoff all they want, but Petsmart Puppy Kindergarten was a great experience for us. It socialized my dog to all other breeds, taught us some positive training for basic commands and was a great way to wear him out.

I have since taken my training a lot further, but I think it was a great start to socializing and obedience at such a young age.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts