German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our GSD puppy is just over 5 mos, and since we brought her home she has developed this strange bald patch on her skin on the side of her nose. It seems to be getting a little worse but at a very slow rate. She certainly didn’t have evidence of it when we got her. I also am noticing she is developing a very small patch on the other side as well. Other wise all is well although she is on the thin side. We switched her food to Victor Hero and she did great switching over. This patch was developing well before the food change. I heard good things about Goodwinol ointment and purchased but heard some horror stories about dogs licking it and getting ill. To be honest I’m afraid to put it on her. I’m going to try to attach a picture below. One of the side that is worse and another of the side where I see it developing a tiny bit. Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to add based some other questions I have seen asked of those with similar issues. She has metal food bowls, doesnt really get into any dicey areas. She spends a lot of time in my 12 year old sons room. She has a blanket from his bed in her crate, and he is not exactly the most hygienic at this stage lol. She eats and drinks great.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
could be a localized mange out break - stressed immune from changes

is she an anxious type dog? Her eyes, expression , avoiding looking , gazine at you ,
seems to telegraph this

FEED her good quality protein.

watch her reactions to things - don't demand more than she can deliver
or cope with

at this age you have teething, effects of treatments such as vaccinations
and parasitic - heart worm - flea preventive and demands of growth and hormones changing

for the spot itstelf --- DEFENDEX - safe and effective

add MSM - OPT-MSM , organic sulfur .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I just noticed she had two really small spots along on side as well where the hair is a little bit thinned. I made an appointment for a week from now but I’m not sure if I should try to get her to a different vet just so she can get seen right away.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Has she had a vet visit yet? She seems too thin. A skin scarping will give you the cause of the hair loss. Don't wait. What are you feeding her? It may very well be immune related. I would hold off on any physical changes like spay surgery, vaccinations etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She did have a vet visit since coming home. The vet did say she was thin. Even in her initial visit from the breeders vet they said “slightly thin”. She is now eating. Victor Hero food which is supposedly great quality. She has been fed adult food per the breeder. We are feeding her a cup in the morning and a cup in the late afternoon / evening.

She did have worms at her first visit and she had the medicine which seemed to clear it up right away. As far as her demeanor, she seems fine. She eats everything and drinks her water completely. She is pretty well house trained, she hasn’t had an accident really since a couple of weeks after coming home. The vet recommended a stool sample last time just to be sure about parasites but since we ended up spotting worms we just put her on that medicine without doing the sample.

When you say an immune issue, I’m not sure if this is something I should be super concerned about. Now I’m getting scared...

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
2 cups a day is not enough for a pup this age. Feed her three meals a day, 1 cup each for at least a few weeks and see if she gets in a better body condition. Besides saying that she is being thin, did the vet offer a solution? Don't panic, not needed, just take her to the vet for a skin test.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
mange mites , exist on our dogs and our skin .

you said "
When you say an immune issue, I’m not sure if this is something I should be super concerned about. Now I’m getting scared...

understand how imortant the immune system is

the mites are held in a symbiotic check when the immune functions well.\\
the immune system , especially in young animals , is challenged by emotional
stress , which may be the status quo with no blame - just the way the chemistry of
the dog is - brain receptors to dopamine etc. , which can also be helped with nutrition,

the immune system is challenged, especially in young animals by temperature

the immune system is challenged by hunger stress , definciency,

is the dog getting any essential fatty acids?

when you go to the vet I do believe they will give you a systemic anti bioitic
which is the beginning of more problems -- over kill --

I have turned around dogs abandoned on my property . I come home to some
grey and oozing virtually hairless dog in an empty kennel run .

Feed them -- add organic sulfur treat inside and out and then make them available for
re-home.

MSM is an organic sulfur .

I may have mistakenly recommended demodex --- that is what the dog has -- typical
shot gun patches of hairless skin --

what I meant to recommend is DEFENDEX https://www.vetionx.com/defendex/

you said "

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Demodex mange looks to be the culprit, but not 100% sure. See a vet asap to make sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven’t her itching a lot. I’m at a different vet that was able to see her today. They are doing a scrape and stool sample. They did just confirm Demodex mange at least. Waiting her about the stool.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so demodex mange confirmed. Stool sample was fine. The vet prescribed Bravecto which they didn’t have so I’ll have to wait to get that delivered from Chewy.

As far as her weight he recommended putting her on actual puppy food. I just switched her to Victor Hero. Would it be the same to just supplement her current food with something like cottage cheese, satin balls stuff like that. Lee in mind we were feeding her only two cups per day up until today. I am doing 3 cups going forward. Is it worth changing the food again to puppy?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Ok, so demodex mange confirmed. Stool sample was fine. The vet prescribed Bravecto which they didn’t have so I’ll have to wait to get that delivered from Chewy.

As far as her weight he recommended putting her on actual puppy food. I just switched her to Victor Hero. Would it be the same to just supplement her current food with something like cottage cheese, satin balls stuff like that. Lee in mind we were feeding her only two cups per day up until today. I am doing 3 cups going forward. Is it worth changing the food again to puppy?
Terrible news, I'm sorry! Poor girl!

I got a buddy whose dog had it as well. You're going to need to do a lot more than bravecto. Did the vet not recommend a benzoyl peroxide shampoo? She should have been on a puppy food. Till at least 24 months I believe. Victor hi pro plus is good. Need a good food to help boost her immune system.

Here's some good treatment tips...
https://www.happydognaturals.com/demodectic-mange/six-steps-to-beating-demodectic-mange/

It's a long process. Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts