German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to look at a litter at Kleinen Hain German Shepherds. Can anyone tell me anything about this pedigree?

Attachments

·
Registered
31,102 Posts
Are you looking for a working dog?

Not an expert but I would expect a lot of aggression with Tyson, Drago and Cherokee in there. What does Wanda expect from this litter?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you looking for a working dog?

Not an expert but I would expect a lot of aggression with Tyson, Drago and Cherokee in there. What does Wanda expect from this litter?
Yes, I’m wanting a highly intelligent working dog that I can do everything with. I live alone and will take my dog everywhere and would love to get into tracking, obedience, agility, etc

·
Registered
33 Posts
What is your training experience? Are you getting a male or a female? I always remind people "be careful what you wish for". Get in with a good schutzhund or police dog trainer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is your training experience? Are you getting a male or a female? I always remind people "be careful what you wish for". Get in with a good schutzhund or police dog trainer.
My training experience is with tracking only. I have no experience in Schutzhund or protection. I have always liked female dogs but I really don’t care. My plan was to just meet them all and let one pick me. Is it a big difference between male and female working dogs?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
My training experience is with tracking only. I have no experience in Schutzhund or protection. I have always liked female dogs but I really don’t care. My plan was to just meet them all and let one pick me. Is it a big difference between male and female working dogs?
There can be, will you meet the sire and dam ahead of time?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
There can be, will you meet the sire and dam ahead of time?
I’m actually going to meet them today. After meeting them, if I decide this is the litter for me I will go back a few times before I pick up the puppy.

I do understand the general differences between male and females like size, dominance, etc. Size is of little interest to me. I don’t care if it’s a 55 lbs female or 75 lbs male. That will not influence my decision.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
My only concern with a female, or maybe its just my preference for males, I don't like sensitive. If you get a good balance of it like you see with good females its great. Its more like biddable. If its too much, like I actually got with one male, it seems to be a lack of confidence in too many ways. Pay close attention to mom's acceptance with you. How she is with you on her property. Are the puppies born yet?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My only concern with a female, or maybe its just my preference for males, I don't like sensitive. If you get a good balance of it like you see with good females its great. Its more like biddable. If its too much, like I actually got with one male, it seems to be a lack of confidence in too many ways. Pay close attention to mom's acceptance with you. How she is with you on her property. Are the puppies born yet?
They were born 3 weeks ago yesterday. I wasn’t going to go until 4 weeks old but I happen to be in the area today so the breeder told me I could stop by today.

I should be there in about an hour. Anything to be on the lookout for with the dam?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
What I liked about Doc's dam, when we and saw the puppies even with my son, she was completely accepting of us there. No tension in her at all. I had seen her on the field, training, and that was good, but her friendly confidence and respectful good manners with an 8yr old boy right there with her pups, that was great.

If the breeder thinks the male may not accept you that easily on their property, I wouldn't worry about that. I played tug with my one dogs sire, a 2 time No. American Schutzund 3 champion, but the only contact I had with Doc's sire was on a field and in a clubhouse.

I'd just ask the breeder questions about what she's seeing in the pups right now and see how that is when they're 6 weeks and 7 weeks. I wouldn't be thinking about which one, or even male vs female yet if you don't already have a strong preference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What I liked about Doc's dam, when we and saw the puppies even with my son, she was completely accepting of us there. No tension in her at all. I had seen her on the field, training, and that was good, but her friendly confidence and respectful good manners with an 8yr old boy right there with her pups, that was great.

If the breeder thinks the male may not accept you that easily on their property, I wouldn't worry about that. I played tug with my one dogs sire, a 2 time No. American Schutzund 3 champion, but the only contact I had with Doc's sire was on a field and in a clubhouse.

I'd just ask the breeder questions about what she's seeing in the pups right now and see how that is when they're 6 weeks and 7 weeks. I wouldn't be thinking about which one, or even male vs female yet if you don't already have a strong preference.
I’m not planning on making a decision anytime soon. I intend to make that decision when they are 7-8 weeks old

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had an outstanding experience meeting not only the puppies, sire, and dam, but also meeting the other dogs. I was very impressed and felt that temperaments of all her mature dogs was great. I even got to play ball with the sire and dam. The trip to her kennel answered my questions and resolved any reservations I had.
I’m now leaning towards a male.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts