German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of concerns with Lena, and since I'm not very experienced with conformation, can someone send me a message? I don't know if I should post more pictures again since I put probably too many out there. I just need some guidance on structure and things I should look out for.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
There's really nothing you can do about conformation. What is your worry? Most GSDs don’t have “terrible” conformation. You might not win any shows, but it’s rarely crippling. Best thing to do would be to just post pictures, but at a young age…it’s hard to see some things.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's really nothing you can do about conformation. What is your worry? Most GSDs don’t have “terrible” conformation. You might not win any shows, but it’s rarely crippling. Best thing to do would be to just post pictures, but at a young age…it’s hard to see some things.
Well, maybe this is something that can be answered then...If you are looking at a GSD from the tail end, are the withers (if that is the right word) supposed to be sloped kind of like an oval, or squared off? I just didn't know if the shape of the hips could be an indicator of future issues...I hope that doesn't sound too dumb so my apologies if I am not explaining very well.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
The withers is the hump just above the shoulders - I think you mean the croup.

If your dog is still young, or underweight, the hip-bones will be prominent and give your dog a more squared rear-end look. Putting on weight and muscle will soften the lines.

The shape of the croup, or the prominenece of the hip bones have nothing to do with hip health - HD can only be diagnosed with X-rays, not by looking at the dog. Don't worry about having too many pictures, post a pic that illustrates well what you are talking about, and we can comment.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The withers is the hump just above the shoulders - I think you mean the croup.

If your dog is still young, or underweight, the hip-bones will be prominent and give your dog a more squared rear-end look. Putting on weight and muscle will soften the lines.

The shape of the croup, or the prominenece of the hip bones have nothing to do with hip health - HD can only be diagnosed with X-rays, not by looking at the dog. Don't worry about having too many pictures, post a pic that illustrates well what you are talking about, and we can comment.
Ahh, I knew I had it wrong...I used to do 4H when I was a little tiny thing, but that's felt like a lifetime ago now. OK I will take a picture when I get home. I guess what I am looking for is the shape of the dog's rear end. Della is more boxy (looks like she's almost a little bow legged when you look at her from the back), while Lena is a little more narrow. Both are at ideal weights. I am still just getting used to how incredibly varied this breed can be depending on the line or the breeder. So basically (I) vs (_I_) ok you know what I'll just take pictures lol I feel like a toddler with my bad explanations...
Edited to add: Della is my rescue pup, so maybe I should be more concerned about her since she is obviously from a BYB

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry just re-read CastleMaid...So basically I am over worrying a bit. I was just surprised by how different body builds my dogs have, and my first instinct usually that maybe Lena has problems as she's just so darn big. But really, if I am reading this, not an issue I should be concerned with in regards to a young puppy like Della as she needs more tone and muscle first. Thank you for that clarification :)

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
You won't be able to see any issues in a standing dog. You can see bad/weak joints when the dog moves. At a young age though...many times it's just certain bones being bigger than others and the muscles not being able to deal with it. Young dogs also sometimes don't know how to use their body parts properly yet...just like small children starting to walk...so their motion looks pretty funny. This happens a lot more with longer legged dogs.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You won't be able to see any issues in a standing dog. You can see bad/weak joints when the dog moves. At a young age though...many times it's just certain bones being bigger than others and the muscles not being able to deal with it. Young dogs also sometimes don't know how to use their body parts properly yet...just like small children starting to walk...so their motion looks pretty funny. This happens a lot more with longer legged dogs.
You are definitely right, and I feel kinda silly after reading the responses for posting...Della is more compact, where Lena falls into the category of being lanky. I haven't seen any cause for concern in regards to their motion, so I will just take a chill pill for now. I haven't heard anything bad yet from the vet in regards to both girls, but then again, she is no GSD expert either. I was just trying to find some diagrams of what to look for, but seem to only find side views.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts