German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kira has been acting very weird for the past few days. I can't explain it, but her behavior is identical to when our Maltese has her cycle.
She's been cleaning herself more than usual. Sleeping more than usual, and when she's awake, she's very clingy.
She's very aloof, and seems to be super mellow.

If I decide to push her, she's fine. I took her to the field, and did her usual fetch and workout, and she was responded to everything I asked of her.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear she was going into a heat cycle.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Are you sure she doesn't have a UTI? What you explained sounds like classic signs... especially knowing she's spayed. I could be wrong, but you may want to check that out. Storm acted pretty much the same way when she had a UTI.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
How long since she was spayed? The reason I ask, is it is possible for a vet to leave a small piece of ovary which can cause signs of heat in rare cases. Or as stated above, could very possibly be UTI.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
She was spayed at 11 months, and will be 2 yrs on June 25th. I think I may have asked the same question about 6 months ago. (sorry, under a great deal of stress lately, and becoming forgetful).

Obviously can't comment on the ovary thing, but would like to know if there are any very obvious signs of a UTI?

Come to think about it.... My 8 year old daughter commented yesterday that Kira's urine was very yellow. I laughed it off, but now I'm wondering if it was darker than usual.

However, she is not going any more frequent than usual. And she doesn't seem uncomfortable or in pain.
I'll look in the morning.

·
Registered
32,035 Posts
No. I really don't think so. If she is spayed, there will not be the progesterone and estrogen spiking that will cause behavioral changes. If she is acting odd, then check her temperature, and maybe make a trip to the vet. Only just don't go to Uhgavet and tell her/him that she is acting funny.

A UTI generally causes them to urinate more frequently, cloudy or strong urine, probably would clean themselves more, and they might run a temperature and sleep more. It sounds possible for your symptoms.

And sometimes when our dogs are not feeling well, they want to be near us, because they associate us with comfort. They want to be near their comfort-being.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely sleeping more.
Clingy, yet aloof.. Really can't put her actions in words.
Not urinating frequently.

I'll go to the vet for a routine 2 yr old check up.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Woke up this morning to a revved up, supercharged, absolute maniac. ..lol

Took her for a routine checkup anyway. No fever, no obvious signs of anything wrong with her.
Had her nails clipped, came home and gave her a bath, and she seems full of life tonight.
I guess maybe her workouts caught up to her a bit.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Could she have had only a partial spay?

I had a friend whose spayed cat showed symptoms of being in heat every few months. Come to find out when she was originally spayed the vet couldn't find an ovary, assumed there was only one, and sewed her up. When they redid the spay he found the ovary someplace it didn't belong (forget where), it was removed, and the problem was resolved.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could she have had only a partial spay?

I had a friend whose spayed cat showed symptoms of being in heat every few months. Come to find out when she was originally spayed the vet couldn't find an ovary, assumed there was only one, and sewed her up. When they redid the spay he found the ovary someplace it didn't belong (forget where), it was removed, and the problem was resolved.
Of course that's always the possibility.
She had a wonderful , fun day yesterday.

She was back to her usual demanding, annoying, pushy, naggy, loveable, self.
..... and I'd want it no other way. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts