German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got myself a puppy some months ago and he got anemic after 2 days in my home.it was not due to malnutrition or any desease.i immediately took him to the vet( many vets actually) but could not find the reason .that means he had no desease of any kind and i am sure he did not eat anything which lead to anemia.after a 12 day treatment with fluids and other support meds,he took his last breath. rip tobi.and we were all left in confusion and shock.

now, during his treatment period, many people told me to euthanize him (which i kept denying and the idea of it irritated me). the reason they gave me was "a puppy who have suffered anemia in early days would not be able to live a normal life even when cured.not even with any supplements or best diet".
i wanted to ask if this reason was correct?i would not have euthanized him even if it was correct though but i am still curious.what problems could a puppy possibly face growing up if he ever had anemia or desease in his puppyhood and got cured?have you ever heard to a similar case and what was the outcome?

·
Registered
771 Posts
If the cause of anemia is found and eliminated ...then YES the dog can recover and live a normal life...whether or not the dog recovers depends on how weakened the puppy/dog is when treatment starts...many common things can cause anemia--worms/intestinal parasites,ticks and even fleas if the animal is infested with them-given enough time without treatment they can kill....reading your post it doesn't sound like your vet(s) ever found what was causing the anemia...

** OP I just noticed you had another thread related to the same issue... other members had responded to that thread sooo ?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
You never did answer on the other thread. It could be problematic for the rest of their life, or not at all. It depends on the cause. If it an autoimmune related hemolytic anemia, it is a lifetime of drugs and high maintenance. Just like when people have it.

If it was a toxin (could be a cleaning chemical you used, snake bites, bee stings are all things that can cause destruction of red blood cells and lead to being anemic) then a full recovery without further incident is likely if they survive the event.

If your vet can't tell you why it happened, there is no way anyone can tell you if he could have had a normal life post treatment.

The only was to tell if it was a AI related hemolytic anemia is to do a smear of a blood sample to look at the shape and all around integrity of the red cells, and a reticulocyte count to see how the body is responding to the red cell loss. Those are two tests that are specific and never included in a complete CBC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vets in India have a lot of catching up to do.
definitely,i went to the best rated vet here.even he was not able to find the problem.i even changed the vets 2 times or so and they all had the same treatment so i stayed with the first but no luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the cause of anemia is found and eliminated ...then YES the dog can recover and live a normal life...whether or not the dog recovers depends on how weakened the puppy/dog is when treatment starts...many common things can cause anemia--worms/intestinal parasites,ticks and even fleas if the animal is infested with them-given enough time without treatment they can kill....reading your post it doesn't sound like your vet(s) ever found what was causing the anemia...

** OP I just noticed you had another thread related to the same issue... other members had responded to that thread sooo ?
thanks for the info : )
the other thread had different questions from the same situation yes.
i never asked the vet about this idk why.i thought i may find a person here with similar experience so just out of curiousity...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You never did answer on the other thread. It could be problematic for the rest of their life, or not at all. It depends on the cause. If it an autoimmune related hemolytic anemia, it is a lifetime of drugs and high maintenance. Just like when people have it.

If it was a toxin (could be a cleaning chemical you used, snake bites, bee stings are all things that can cause destruction of red blood cells and lead to being anemic) then a full recovery without further incident is likely if they survive the event.

If your vet can't tell you why it happened, there is no way anyone can tell you if he could have had a normal life post treatment.

The only was to tell if it was a AI related hemolytic anemia is to do a smear of a blood sample to look at the shape and all around integrity of the red cells, and a reticulocyte count to see how the body is responding to the red cell loss. Those are two tests that are specific and never included in a complete CBC.
i cleaned my house several times with bleach before getting him home.i dont know if that caused something.i did it to kill any deseases because we were having storms in our area at that time and and a lot of dirt used to come in with the winds.
my vet did as many tests he could . he didn't wanted to take much blood out tobi's body because he didn't have much so he may have skipped some tests of rare conditions.so the only possibility i can think of is that he actually had a rare condition of some kind.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I can tell how badly you feel about it and I totally understand wanting a crystal ball so it doesn't happen again with a new pup. Plain old bleach and water solution prior to welcoming a pet into the home wouldn't cause anemia.

Just curious if you notified the original breeder? If it was an autoimmune thing they should know.

Are you still considering a new puppy? If so I would just disinfect your home using an approved cleaner (maybe ask your vet what is definitely safe, how to use it, etc)carefully research a new breeder, and just have faith.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts