German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will the calcium do more harm than good? and is ester c really better? i bought two huge bottle of regular acid free calcium ascorbate on impulse because they were offering a good price and now i read ester c is better..

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
i've been using Ester C but after I finish this bottle I am switching over to calcium ascorbate. The Belfield studies were done with calcium ascorbate. Ester C is a synthetic version with a few other things added in. Both of the latter are buffered. I would not use sodium ascorbate as it has a higher amount of sodium and I don't know anyone who has used that for joint issues.

I buy mine from vitacost.com

·
Registered
32,555 Posts
Fish oil (for increased Omega 3's), Vit E (because you are giving the fish oil and the body uses Vit E to process it), Vit C (work up to 2000 mg). Plus, find a good joint supplement for dogs. Springtimeinc.com joint chewables are good, cosaquin is good.

Those are the big supplements for HD.

also, make sure the xrays were taken correctly. Leerburg has a page with great examples on the positioning needed to get good xrays. There have been ppl on here with a diagnosis of HD with horrible xrays that would be impossible to tell. Look on leerburg site for the page.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Springtime Inc. has an Omega 3-6-9 with vitamin E in it. I've been using that for 6 months with no problems.

Also, Rafi gets double to triple the maintenance dose of Longevity/Joint Health. If I just give him a maintenance dose he is symptomatic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts