German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I think my GSD may have swallowed a very small sock because I can't find it and it was right next to the other one which I did find next to my shoe. It has been a few days and I've looked everywhere for the sock and it definitely has disappeared. She has chewed up stuffed animals before that is why I thought she messed with the sock.

The reason I think my GSD may have swallowed the sock is because she has been eating irregularly for the past few days as well so she has been going to the bathroom less. She has been drinking regularly though and urinating. Also it could be because I switched dogfood over the past weekend (3 days ago) and she is just getting used to her food.

Otherwise she isn't showing any symptoms, quick to get up and today she went on a long walk with me. All the pet sites mention vomiting as the main symptom and she hasn't been doing that. If she doesn't get back on her regular feeding schedule in the next couple of days, I may exchange the food again or take her the vet. Hopefully, I find the other sock but I've already checked everywhere. Right now she is sleeping and doesn't even have labored breathing.

Can a sock get stuck in her stomach so it is only a partial blockage?

Should I try to get her to vomit it out with hydrogen peroxide?

A lot of online veterinary advice is just let your dog pass the soft object or sock if it isn't affecting her behavior much, should I do that? If it was a sharp object missing or she was acting very uncomfortable I would definitely take her to the vet.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I think it's too late for peroxide. It could be down in her intestines by now. If you think the dog is not acting, eating, or pooping normally, I'd go to the vet

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Agree with the other posters, should have her checked by a vet. I know its money, but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just letting you know, she slept on my bed like normal last night but as soon as I got up this morning, she rolled over to get her belly rubbed. Wouldn't a dog who swallowed an object show some signs of being uncomfortable? I don't want to panic over nothing yet.

UPDATE: Just took her out and she went to the restroom like normal. Maybe even slightly less than her morning routine but I think a lot of it is just a coincidence...I bought a different type of food at the same time I lost a sock at the same time she decided to eat less.

Here is a picture of her morning stool, I'm pretty sure I'm more "relieved" than she is because my mind started going to all the worst case scenarios rather than trusting that she was OK.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I had a sock eater. It would often pass, and that's how I would find out her ate it (3 kids 6 feet that there are often discarded socks around). Me, personally, knowing they do this- the minute there was vomiting or straining, any wretching, lack of appetite etc Im getting xrays without delay.

·
Super Moderator
7,247 Posts
@Lauren Kelly i merged your threads and deleted the duplicate posts, in the future feel free to ask or just wait for a Mod to move your post to the appropriate section.

to answer your question... yes a dog can swallow an item and be asymptomatic. This can be because there is only a partial blockage, or because the item is just sitting in a part of the GI tract and hasn’t moved yet. Most things will pass and you were correct to not give peroxide. I work with dogs raised in homes before returning to our kennel for their formal training... it’s not uncommon for dogs to have no symptoms for a week or more, then pass a sock or underwear...I’ve known dogs to fall ill after the same amount of time has passed and require surgery to have a rope toy removed.... all items that they wouldn’t have had access to while in our care. If anything, you can feed pumpkin or rice or a food like ID to create bulk and aid in moving things along.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I had a sock eater. It would often pass, and that's how I would find out her ate it
to answer your question... yes a dog can swallow an item and be asymptomatic.

does that mean a dog can have partial blockage with a sock AND still have normal bowel movements? How long should I wait if I cannot find the sock, a week or more? Until vomiting or more severe symptoms?

I am thinking it may be in her stomach (if at all...also she may have hid the sock somewhere as well). Also after her bowel movement this morning she ate normally.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
7,247 Posts
A dog with a partial blockage can still defecate. A dog with a sock that’s simply chillin it it’s stomach can still defecate. A dog with a total blockage will likely not be able to defecate, will generally vomit if fed...and they’ll probably feel like crap, hence, be symptomatic. Total blockages can be temporary - however you should never take that chance. And blockages can happen anywhere in the GI tract.... which is why symptoms, timelines and risk factors can vary.

I recall you saying you’re a worrier? Between that, the previous posters recommendations and because I have 0 medical credentials - I’m gonna say, at the very least call your vet and let them guide when/if you should take her in. For nothing else, peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I once read about a police dog that had swallowed a tennis ball. The vet found it in his stomach when he was being treated for something entirely different. No one knows how long it had been there but judging by the state it was in, it had been quite a long while!! o_O

To help relieve your worry, I have a dog that is 13 years old. During her time with me, she has eaten numerous socks, half a nylon leash, a complete collar except for the snap, and pieces of towels and her dog beds. They all came out the other end just fine. In some cases, like the collar and leash, I never even knew she'd eaten them!

But check with your vet to be on the safe side!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Are you switching food in one day?

They were out of the bags I usually buy. Usually I would do a slow switch but was told by the store that since they are they both the same brand but different flavors it would be OK since many of the ingredients are same. She has been eating about half her normal serving so far, but if she doesn't take to it, I'm allowed to return it.

The thought of paying $3000 to get a sock removal surgery really woke me up. The real lesson I learned is to keep your house puppy-proofed no matter how old your dog is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts