German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It went perfectly!! I am so impressed every single day of how great of a dog our little Obi is. To make a long story short we did some travelling for our family reunion and after it was over we went on a family camping trip along Lake Ontario. The attached picture is our 12 week old puppy taking in the big world around him :) we camped for 3 days and he was such a perfectly behaved dog. Not a single thing I can say about him that could have gone better. Where we camped was very close to Niagara Falls and so we were there one day too. NEVER DID I THINK SO MANY PEOPLE WHO ASK TO PET OUR PUPPY. Even worse I never thought so many people would run up without asking. I am not exaggerating when I say at least 300 people asked to pet Obi. People even asked to have their picture taken with him. It was intense and I am thankful I had all of my family there aka puppy bodyguards. Our car ride home was a 12 hour drive, including the stops we made any time we could. HE WAS PERFECT. He would wait to be lifted in, would wait for his seat belt to be put on, and would either chew his bone, play with a toy, or sleep. I almost put this in the brags section because I am just so impressed. One thing I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced is whenever people would come up to us if they separated Obi from the rest of our family (his pack) he would constantly bark at them and would not have anything to do with them until he was in view of our whole family again. I thought this was such a cool thing, I wonder what was going through his mind. Anyways, I'll also add a picture of him in his cooling vest at Niagara Falls. This was at the main Horseshoe Falls area and where a lot of people were.

We love our boy!!

Also just so everyone knows, I did a lot of preparing for this trip. Asked for lots of advice, made sure Obi's vet knew everything that we were doing, was in contact with 24 hour vets at every location, and had many other ways of preparation. Thanks to anyone who helped. So many great people here.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
What a great adventure for you all! He sounds like a very stable puppy to put up with all those photo hounds!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What a great adventure for you all! He sounds like a very stable puppy to put up with all those photo hounds!
It was such a great experience :) I think it's awesome how intuitive dogs are but, especially our shepherd. How I mentioned random people running up to him and blocking his view of his family, he never did it to children. He treated them completely differently. I saw another post a couple weeks ago about how puppy socialization isn't just meeting people and dogs it's experiences different environments. I knew this trip would be new to him but, I didn't realize how much he would learn and truly experience. It really evolved our relationship with him!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Good boy, Obi! Glad he did so well! He's a real cute little dude. That's a lot of people to be around, I'm not sure I would handled it well! ?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good boy, Obi! Glad he did so well! He's a real cute little dude. That's a lot of people to be around, I'm not sure I would handled it well! ?
Thank you ? We definitely did not expect so much interaction. We just figured he would be around a lot of new things. But I am also so glad he did well. I think at some points it was more overwhelming for us than it was for him. I feel like kids are more polite than adults. Not a single kid just walked up and pet him. They all asked politely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts