German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is Callie Calvin She was a stray at the prison where I am a Correctional Sergeant in Hobbs, New Mexico. She had shown up and they had been feeding her scraps. She was skittish and would not come to anyone, but she would eat the food tossed to her.

The administration office finally called the Humane Society enough that they came and caught her with a trap.I was off work for several days and when I returned, the perimeter patrol driver informed me.
The shelter was closed for Christmas, so the next business day, I went to the shelter to bail her out.

She came home with me the next day, when she was available after surgery.

I put her outside the next morning and left for work. She slipped out of her harness and ran away.

For four days I looked for her. Before and after work. We made fliers, and went on Facebook to spread the word.
Eventually someone said they spotted her a couple miles away. I got out of work early and looked in the area where she was reported to have been.

No sign of her.

The next morning I got a call at work that she had shown up.

My theory is that she smelled my exhaust when I went to look for her and followed it back. At the prison, I would feed her by my truck to try to get her used to my scent so I could win her over.
She still wouldn't come to me, so we called in a favor from the animal control officer to trap her.
It worked.

She has since been to the groomer, and to Michigan to visit my mom. The next hope is to get her trained so she can go off leash. That is going to be in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HaHa! The cats loathe her. They hiss and growl, which makes her want to play she tips and barks because she is afraid yet wants to play, so they growl and she jumps and barks. I will be taking her back to New Mexico with me, but I have to figure something out for the long term.

·
Registered
94 Posts
For the long term? But you ARE going to keep her, right? Looks like you've bonded with her already. She's a sweetheart. 💕

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, of course I am keeping her. I am taking her back to New Mexico with me next weekend. We are going to introduce her to the kitties again when I make my next trip up here. In the meantime she will live with me in NM and the kitties stay in MI

1 - 11 of 11 Posts