German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think it is uncommon for anybody to call their pets the wrong name. I call the cats and my friends even, Vida. I've called Vida by my cats name before. But people calling her "Sheeba" (my last dog) There is a difference between not knowing that you have done it and doing it on purpose.
I believe my Dad is doing this in purpose.. it's kind of weird.. and annoying because I think he's doing it intentionally. Sheeba was my dog, first, and his dog, second. Vida is entirely MY dog and he is constantly trying to feed her this and that and get her on different food (I am more than comfortable with Orijen..) like Euekenuba (sp) or Iams and this and that. It's like.. I know he is probably STILL grieving (never had a pet in his life before Sheeba I don't think) over her which I understand but does he have to call my dog Sheeba? And try to interfere with her all the time?
I guess I'm just selfish. Vida is.. mine, atlast I have say in how to raise an animal other than the kittens. To me, she is my child.
I know I am being selfish but how and should I tell him to back off? I've told him to just shut it and leave her alone and get his own dog. You guys have to see something here that I am not seeing.

·
Super Moderator
32,016 Posts
If you're underage and living at home with your parents I don't think there's much you can do to stop them from "interfering" in your life, including how you raise your pets. :shrug: Or even if you're over 18 but still living in their house and being supported by them. Sorry, but that's just how it is.

Are you sure he's not calling her Sheeba by accident, out of habit? Sometimes it's hard not to do that, I know I have and so have many other people. If he's actually doing it on purpose to bug you then the best way to make him stop is to ignore it. If it you stop reacting he'll have no reason to continue doing it - think dog training here!

·
Registered
656 Posts
I know he is probably STILL grieving (never had a pet in his life before Sheeba I don't think) over her which I understand but does he have to call my dog Sheeba? And try to interfere with her all the time?
I catch myself calling my current dog by my most loved old dogs name constantly without thinking about it, and she died 16 years ago. I think I likely always will to some degree.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
If you're underage and living at home with your parents I don't think there's much you can do to stop them from "interfering" in your life, including how you raise your pets. :shrug: Or even if you're over 18 but still living in their house and being supported by them. Sorry, but that's just how it is.

Are you sure he's not calling her Sheeba by accident, out of habit? Sometimes it's hard not to do that, I know I have and so have many other people. If he's actually doing it on purpose to bug you then the best way to make him stop is to ignore it. If it you stop reacting he'll have no reason to continue doing it - think dog training here!
I agree with Cassidy's Mom!!!

I call the Hooligans the wrong names, especially poor Faith - I'm always calling her Too.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunetly I've been told this many times but being as stubborn as I am, I don't listen to it because I don't think that just because I'm this old that people should have control over me like that. Think what you want, I've been working and paying rent since before I was 14. This gives me say in things. And if they can't be bothered with something like my education, I don't expect them or tolerate them being bothered with my dog that they wanted 'nothing to do with'.
He is doing it on purpose because I have caught him doing it, telling him and he doesn't care. He compares her to Sheeba. He has 'nicknames' for Vida, as does everybody else and I don't care about it really now because most of the time it's Vidabear or Vidakins or Vida-something. It just bugs me that he is calling her by the name of my previous dog. He also insists that Sheeba was HIS dog. (Okay, picture your dad telling you at 17 that he cares more about the dog you just put down more than you do.. ofcourse I'm bitter!)
I, personally do not see how this is. If anything, my moms based of who purchased her and paid for her shots and everything. I got Sheeba for my 7th birthday, after begging since I was probably born for a puppy! I stayed with her all night as a puppy, I walked her. I picked up after her. I couldn't buy her food but I fed her, groomed her. Took CARE of her and did a darn good job for a young kid. When she got sick the first time, I was the one giving her water through a straw BEGGING my dad to come home and take her to the emergency. His reponse was "After I finish my steak." I took care of her when she got really sick. I sold everything to pay for as much treatment as I could instead of my parents being stuck with most of the bill.. I think it was around 50/50. I made every decison in between with her, including when to put her down. And he was at work, instead of being there which I understand because you can't leave work like that but still.
It is very irritating for somebody like him to call the puppy that I have put a lot of time into, buying, supporting, training etc. to call her by my previous dog.
Everybody has called her Sheeba. My grandpa does it a lot, my mom even calls her dog Sheeba. As long as my dad doesn't have anything wrong with his brain, she should respect everybody enough not to constantly bring Sheeba up. I just don't feel like it's an appropriate thing to do. At the same time I can't being a jerk about it, but it is definetly NOT appreciated.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Kaity sad to say it but your dad is a Butthead (nicer words than what I'm really thinking)he has done nothing but make your life He!! Since you got Vida. I would move asap or isolate her to your room when he is around.Good luck

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I can see why would would feel upset.
But I dont think your dog will be confused.
I personally have a lot of diff names for Kilo.
Keys,kiwi,poopsie,baby,boy,dog,shmeez,princess, (LOL), muffin.
Im sorry your dad is doing this. Can you just ignore him?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will not isolate her to my room because I don't believe it is fair to her. She is out when I am out. I can ignore it, but it bugs me to hear my deceased dogs name used on the 'new' puppy.
It comes off to me, as very disrespectful. I know in HIS mind, he's trying to replace Sheebs w/ Vida. Therefor, calling her Sheeba treating her like Sheebs, and whatever else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts