German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an ER nurse and someone who has military experience, I would love to do SAR...create a PURPOSE for Sabo, if he can do it. As I've mentioned in a few of our previous posts, the obedience trainer I've found also has SAR classes. She has her own shepherd that is trained in child location. I would love to get involved in more of the wilderness searches or disaster searches- cadaver or not. I've read some of the links here regarding the books, and I have ordered them. I've emailed the NASAR for more information.

Does anyone know if there are SAR teams in So Cal? I've tried looking for clubs for more intensive training, but can't find anything.

For myself--my ultimate goal as a nurse is to get on a helicopter for extraction work. Volunteer or paid, I dont care...I want that bird! Now that I have a pup, if he can work, why not go into it with him? I understand that the two things are drastically different, but either way, it's along the same lines I think.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
California has 8 USAR teams. You can find out about them by going to disasterdog.org. I do not know if any are accepting new members and if they allow civilian bought dogs. Each team is different.

As for wilderness,a google search should pull a few up.

Have you asked your trainer who she is affiliated with?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not yet. Class is tuesday, and I will ask her then. I'm one of those "I dont wanna buy it on line cause I want it now" and also "I want to have an idea of whats going on before I start asking questions" people...so researching now until tomorrow night--All mixed in with a bit of "I dont believe you until I have proof" people, so I'm starting to research it all now! If there are no teams out here within a few hours drive, why have a hard focus on it? You know? For fun, that's awesome, but with a focus on something he can actually use would be great.

My husband does know a lady in Santa Barbara who has always trained her own SAR dogs (I dont remember her name) so I'm also asking him to call her up for more information.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yes, me:) There are teams as far south as San Diego as well as up north. It is statewide. This said, however, there is always a lot of travel involved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts