German Shepherds Forum banner

Calendula Gel or Cream?

14K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  LisaT 
#1 ·
I can't remember who on the board uses calenda for healing the skin, but I know it's someone -- 3K9? BWM?

I can't believe that I skinned my knee when I went camping -- ran into a boulder that was *under water* -- I had Indy in my arms, so I was more concerned about not dumping her than my knees at first.

When I got home, I bought the gel, and that acted very quickly, but I'm still not sure when to use which. Anyone know?

#2 ·
My daughter uses it for my grandson when he gets a little diaper rash. She loves it.

#4 ·
Thanks zyp. My friend has a recurring rash (not quite ezcema though), and we found that the psoriaflora helps real well with that -- never thought about the calendula!

middle - just don't think about the blood and flesh....ick....now you got me!

I've known about it for so long, and i don' know why I never really used it until recently. I was thinking that the gel would work well on the dogs -- it seems to dry very quickly.

#6 ·
Thank you BowWoMeow

I just purchased some stuff this morning, and also picked up the one with hypericum. I remember that also being mentioned, and it made sense to me to also treat the nerves.

That antisceptic ointment, with the tea tree oil, looks good too.

I almost never have a use for these things, but there is that occasion, and my mom also prefers to use some of this stuff.

Thanks again!!

#7 ·
I'm treating Rafi's abscess with tea tree oil right now. It's on his back so he can't get to it. I'd never use it if he could lick it. It's working very well. I would also be putting the calendula-hypericum cream on it if I could find it!

I've got my mom hooked on calendula now. I think I told her to get it for her dog for something but now she uses it too.

#9 ·
I just bought some raw bulk calendula (dried marigold flower heads) and made a tea for some sick bunnies who have upset tummies. I give this tea to all the animals who have upset tummies. It is an amazing natural antibiotic and keeps the gut flora in perfect balance.

It works from the inside out too so you can make it into a tea and drink it, the taste is not bad, and it will heal skin problems that way too.

I once spent about $3k on vet bills investigating my amazon parrot's stinky poop. My vet consulted with top avian vets, even one who writes for BirdTalk, their conclusion was that she would have to stay on clavamox for life because if she came off it, the stink came right back.

Then I happened to mention it to an herbalist I was acquainted with and she said to give her calendula tea, which I did. Within a few days, the stink was gone, her poop was great and took her off the tea and the infection never returned. That was 6 years ago. She's still fine. The cost of the flower heads at the organic market was less than $1.

Rocky (GSD) has diarrhea right now for some reason and we noticed he has lost weight. So I order a pound of calendula and will put it in his food. I think he has a bug.

Anyway, it's great stuff! You can use too much and even just a little helps a lot!

#13 ·
The cream works great on an open wound. I've used it on abscesses on dogs and cats and on cuts and scrapes on me. Interestingly enough, doctors are now saying that wounds do not need air to heal and that it actually decelerates, instead of accelerates, healing.

#14 ·
But what are all the carrier products in the cream? Cream contains mainly glycerin and other stuff, but only a small amount of calendula extract.
I don't know about the doctors, but with two now almost teenage children who had lots of bandages growing up, I certainly saw the benefit of air for wound healing.

#16 ·
Sure, Ruth. As long as it works, everyone is happy

I couldn't put cream in a large open wound, let alone do a calendula soak for deep gashes. I find with a tincture you're so much more flexible- and know exactly what you apply (no ingredients I can't pronounce).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.