German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our pup is 12 weeks and I have read that giving supplements is not a good idea especially as a premium food will provide the right amount of nutrition as they are growing and developing....we are feeding Blue Wilderness puppy kibble with just a little Blue Freedom puppy canned food mixed in. My question is regarding calcium....have also read to NOT add calcium. As I have seen many posts about Elk and Deer horns being a good treat/chew item, we picked up a couple for him. In reading the label, it states the horns have "high calcium levels"....should we not give these to him? The brand is Prairie Dog Antlers Elk Puppy Split. States they are 100% natural & made in the USA. Any advice, opinions and insight on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Antlers are very, very, very hard, and last for ever as chew toys - so the calcium ingested on a daily basis from the antler chews is going to be minimal. The high calcium claim is just something that the marketer thought would sound good on the package.

I wouldn't worry about it and give the antlers.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Delgado had an antler when he was a puppy that lasted months, I agree the calcium ingested when chewing for a short periods is minimal.

The warning is out there for those who add specific high dose calcium supplements to their dog’s diet; it's not needed and can be harmful to the dog in the long run

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the responses.....Quax is happily chewing on his antler now! With the more I read, the more I learn just how careful we need to be on so many levels.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts