German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member, I don't know if this has been addressed before. My gsd Bogey is two years old, male, weighs 135 pounds (big boy) this summer he has had a couple of problems limping The first time it happened he had chased a chipmunk off of our deckand seemed sore for a short time,then was better. This week he has been limping and I hear a cracking noise sometimes when hegets up after a nap. I feed him Royal Canin for gsds. I am wondering if he should be taking a calcium supplement.I am aware of the hip problems some of these dogs get. His father was hip certified but not his mother.:help:

·
Registered
32,020 Posts
Can you feel his ribs? When stand behind him and look down, can you see a waist? If not, then he is overweight and getting the weight off is really important.

Second, go get xrays of his hips and then you'll know.

Third, supplements for joint problems are

Springtimeinc Joint supplement or equivalent ingredients
Vit. C
Fish Oil
Vit E

·
Registered
32,020 Posts
If you get xrays, check out the Leerburg site for the proper positioning. Bad positioning in an xray can make good hips look bad and bad hips look good.

I would definitely start him on 1000 mg Vit C, 1000 mg fish oil and 400 iu Vit e.

A chiropractor made an amazing difference for my dog. If their back is out then it will cause pain and affect how they move. It will NOT prevent or cure HD if that is the problem though it may have keep pressure off of the hips.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
My he is an awfully big dog! I agree, a visit to the vet is in order. That clicking sound won't be cured with calcium, it's a joint making the popping noise.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Definitely woudn't give calcium supplement. Jax gave some pretty good supplements to try out.

Sounds to me like dysplasia symptoms. Not sure if it's the hips or elbows since you didnt mention where he seems to be limping, but i'd definitely schedule a vet visit for some x-rays. If it is HD/ED you want to catch it early before arthritis starts to get bad.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
No don't give a calcium supplement. Your dog food will already have the proper amount and it will be in the proper ratio to phosphorous also which is important. If the limp has been present off and on since summer you need to go to the vet as it could be anything- the hips, knee, pano, soft tissue injury. . . .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts