German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get my 11 week old used to the crate. I at this moment do not know if I am doing it right of failing. His reactions sometimes are like I do it right and sometimes as if I do it all wrong.

Anyway, what do you recommend to do with a puppy that goes in and out of a crate during breakfast and dinner if you leave it open ? My puppy goes inside, eats a bit, walks outside, goes eat a fly on the window and then just lays down or wants to play, then he might go back inside to eat or not at all. Shall I just simply lock himself in there with his food bowl like I did a few times when I saw better results ? Whenever I leave the crate open he does not eat it all up within 20 mins. Dog food is not the problem I found out, it is just his wits that for example made him today have no dinner at all. It was in the cage, doors open, he ignored it and is now sleeping.

But then again, with the amounts of grass and dirt he eats outside which even if I did spend every second of the day when i am outside with him taking it out of his mouth, I would not be surprised if that replaced his dinner.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I'd crate him in there to eat if it makes him eat in one sitting. Otherwise, only leave the food down for 15 minutes, then pick up what he hasn't eaten and don't give him more until his next scheduled feeding.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even if I close the gate, he first eats for 30 seconds. Then cries for a minute. then he eats again for a few minutes. Then he is silent or sits down or lays. After 20 mins I open cage to find 1/3 of his food still left. For this dinner I thought I should feed him with the crate door open so he does not feel like he is imprisoned everytime he eats.
Was a bad idea, he simply looked at the food while in a resting position, could not be bothered and went back to sleep. Took food away after 20 mins, even made some noise so he wakes up and sees me carry away the food, then he jumped up like a bunny and walked behind me. I on purpose slowly emptied the food back into where I store it and he watched me with big eyes. Then he went back to sleep...

So from now on, feed him with the crate door closed and open it again after 20 min whether he ate or not ?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I'd crate him in there to eat if it makes him eat in one sitting. Otherwise, only leave the food down for 15 minutes, then pick up what he hasn't eaten and don't give him more until his next scheduled feeding.
agreed.

He will eat when he's hungry. I teach all my dogs to eat when their food is down. Nothing drives me nuts more than dogs that pick at their food for a long period of time. We have a lot of mouths to feed around here, so the rule is you eat what's put in front of you when it's put in front of you or you eat at the next meal.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Even if I close the gate, he first eats for 30 seconds. Then cries for a minute. then he eats again for a few minutes. Then he is silent or sits down or lays. After 20 mins I open cage to find 1/3 of his food still left. For this dinner I thought I should feed him with the crate door open so he does not feel like he is imprisoned everytime he eats.
Was a bad idea, he simply looked at the food while in a resting position, could not be bothered and went back to sleep. Took food away after 20 mins, even made some noise so he wakes up and sees me carry away the food, then he jumped up like a bunny and walked behind me. I on purpose slowly emptied the food back into where I store it and he watched me with big eyes. Then he went back to sleep...

So from now on, feed him with the crate door closed and open it again after 20 min whether he ate or not ?

Thanks
yes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts