German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took 3 months (we’ve had him since 8 weeks) day in and day out with this handsome guy to FINALLY realize, I CAN DO THIS!!!! This 90 day journey has taught me so much......There were days I just wanted to cry and give up!!! I can’t tell you how many threads I read just to keep my sanity! I always felt something was wrong because I was NOT enjoying the time with my puppy.....I realized I was SCARED!!!! I never wanted a German Shepherd.....I thought they were viscous and not a good family dog.....I was so desperate for a dog (I wanted a Lab) though and hubby and younger son have always dreamed of having a Shepherd......so I gave in! I was nervous from day ONE!!! Then the landsharking started!!!! WELL, I thought I had an all out mean, nasty attack dog on my hands!!!! The first time he drew blood I thought the world was coming to an end!!! And I don’t view myself as a wuss....LOL! Caesar and I did NOT see eye to eye at first!!!! Truth be told I think I resented the fact he wasn’t MY dream dog!!! I also have had health issues and allergies to deal with......every single day I questioned why and how I got myself into this predicament!!!! We almost gave him back to the breeder....we drove over an hour away and were 1 block away from the breeder and I told my husband to turn around and go home....I am sooooo happy we did!!!!
There were some mornings I cried when hubby and son left for school and work!!! I was just not meshing with this dog!!! What the heck was I going to do ALL day with him??? I prayed for 2:30 pm everyday when my son comes home from school to take the dog off my hands for a bit!!!
About 2 weeks ago, it finally got to the point where I smacked myself upside the head and said YOU CAN DO THIS!!! I let that FEAR and RESENTMENT go and reminded myself that I raised 2 wonderful, mature and caring young men.....I brought them up with love, discipline and consistency.....Hmmmm, if I did that with my children????......LIGHTBULB MOMENT.....Since that moment my entire perspective has changed!!! Caesar and I are developing a wonderful relationship......he no longer senses my fear and I no longer feel resentment! He hasn’t bitten me in awhile....THAT’S a GREAT start....LOL I look forward to spending time with him now....watching him think, watching him learn, silly puppy antics....even when he talks back to me!!! I know there will be plenty more challenges ahead but the difference is a state of mind.....I know and he knows, I’VE GOT THIS!!! It’s amazing how important it is to have a strong confident perspective....both human and canine!!!
I NEVER would have gotten to this point without this forum! You educated me on the breed, the temperament, the fact that it takes HARD WORK to raise a well balanced disciplined GSD and you’ve made me realize how easy it is to love them!!! Caesar and I are truly very appreciative!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I am so happy to hear that you have moved through the stages you needed to in order to not only accept such a wonderful gift as this pup, but to actually be able to enjoy and begin to bond..

GSD'S can give back soooo much More than you could ever dream. Dogs in general can, but they loyalty, intelligence and desire to work for and with their master Mistress is what can ingratiate so quickly into our hearts. Puppies require alot of work, but they are Worth it!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts