German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When training cadaver dogs, what different type of conditions are the HR deployed in? I’m asking about the condition of the remains themselves and not location like in bodies of water. Is there a consistency about hr odor regardless of condition?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Not sure if you are talking about training or actual missions... But I train with fresh, old, flesh/mest/juice, and bone dry and wet... Missions, you never know what you will come across (if any) and depending on many factors, odor can be obnoxious to minor,to unnoticeable for a human.. Many many factors are involved from temperature, oxygen rich environment (as opposed to buried or water), skeletal or at purification, quantities (body or parts), in an enclosed area or open, etc etc etc..

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if you are talking about training or actual missions... But I train with fresh, old, flesh/mest/juice, and bone dry and wet... Missions, you never know what you will come across (if any) and depending on many factors, odor can be obnoxious to minor,to unnoticeable for a human.. Many many factors are involved from temperature, oxygen rich environment (as opposed to buried or water), skeletal or at purification, quantities (body or parts), in an enclosed area or open, etc etc etc..
I'll send a pm

·
Registered
31,379 Posts
A friend one asked me for my bloody tissues from when Seger broke my nose. She has no boundaries.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I have been volunteering with a rescue up in the fire areas. Yesterday S&R was running dogs in the area I was in. The entire area was leveled. I was wondering what the scent the dogs were looking for as well. Some of the large animals we found were basically skeletons. I can’t even imagine what human remains would’ve looked like if anything.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Dogs are amazing and can and do discern between a I'm human, be it skeletal, meaty, or burnt.. No disrespect meant in the description, just necessary to answer question..

It is a huge devastating tragedy, and my heart goes out to the families who have suffered so.. My thanks and respect to all first responders, and volunteers who have and will dedicate untold hours (not to mention money and physical, emotional efforts) searching and bringing answers to families in need

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Dogs are amazing and can and do discern between a I'm human, be it skeletal, meaty, or burnt.. No disrespect meant in the description, just necessary to answer question..

It is a huge devastating tragedy, and my heart goes out to the families who have suffered so.. My thanks and respect to all first responders, and volunteers who have and will dedicate untold hours (not to mention money and physical, emotional efforts) searching and bringing answers to families in need

I know the dogs are amazing! I understand their noses, I guess for me it comes down to a training question. I’m trying not to get graphic, but I mean some of these animals had half their bodies basically creamated. I’m sure some scent is there and obviously the rest of the animal. Some we knew we were coming up on before we got their from the smell. In this case the entire block if not multiple blocks just smelled like death. It was awful. I mean I guess it’s no different than any other scent, just hard to imagine unsung burned remains and such as a training aid. It’s very needed though. Especially in this case.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
It does take training the dogs, but even upon introduction of cremains with an option animal cremains, both my dogs gave their fi al response on the human.. Burnt has been no different, and it has to be a long exceedingly hot fire to reduce the human body to cremains... So no, I don't know how the dogs do it, but we'll trained dogs can and do distinguish between animal and human in forms that shock and awe those who see it..

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does take training the dogs, but even upon introduction of cremains with an option animal cremains, both my dogs gave their fi al response on the human.. Burnt has been no different, and it has to be a long exceedingly hot fire to reduce the human body to cremains... So no, I don't know how the dogs do it, but we'll trained dogs can and do distinguish between animal and human in forms that shock and awe those who see it..
This is the answer I was looking for, thank you!

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Some of max’s cousins were cadaver dogs and was the first time I heard about the work. Just going to second the cat Warren book - what the dog knows. One of my favorite dog books. Pushed me into doing scent work. Some great chapters for any body goes through the crazy puppy stage. I related well as max was a young pup when I read the book. Many fascinating stories of CadAver dogs and all that they do. I do hope she writes another book on her new dog!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts