German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend and I are searching for our first GSD. We currently have a 3 1/2 rescue GS/Saluki mix (45lbs). He was originally my dog and I've had him since 8 weeks old. We are looking for a male as a family dog, to hike and run with and also has potential to do a sport with.
I train service dogs for a non profit so I do know what I am getting into but need advice on breeders in CA (pref northern CA as I live in the Bay Area). Also in the price range of $500-$1000. I appreciate any advice anyone can give me!

·
Super Moderator
32,532 Posts
Your price range is low for a GSD from a reputable breeder in this area vs a BYB. Are you willing to save up a bit longer? For a working line dog you're probably looking at a minimum of $1000, and up to as much as twice that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am open to a rescue and have been looking around, but still am leaning more towards a puppy. If I can't find anything with quality at $1000 then it looks like I will have to go with the rescue option.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Expect to pay a bit more for a well-bred dog, like $1500-1800 for working lines. If you want show lines, expect to pay a few hundred more. Julia Priest (von Sontausen) and True Haus are two working line breeders I can vouch for. Julia is in Galt, True Haus is in Oroville.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I am open to a rescue and have been looking around, but still am leaning more towards a puppy. If I can't find anything with quality at $1000 then it looks like I will have to go with the rescue option.
I don't know of any reputable breeders in CA that sells within your price range. But I do know of a rescue you might want to check out :)
German Shepherd Rescue of Northern California

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
August 11 in Apple Valley the Angels German Shepherd Rescue is having an adoptathon, these are dogs that were rescued from a bad situation and a lot of them are puppies, it's a long drive but these dogs desperately need a home.

·
Registered
745 Posts
True Haus pups are 1100, expect to wait a little while though. I would definitely check out the rescues as well - never know which dog might capture your heart!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts