German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Ild leave the sign up, BUT I would make up a flyer, on how to find a responsible breeder of which we have a sticky here:)

·
Registered
30,371 Posts
Is it possible for you to make a post that isn't self important?

You seem to think if something isn't exactly like you think it should be then it's wrong.

OMG. They feed kibble. BYB!!11!
What are you even ranting about? I asked if good breeders put up signs in dog parks and you go off your meds? And what the **** does feeding kibble or RAW have to do with being a reputable breeder? That makes no sense at all. Thank you for proving my point.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
30,371 Posts
Ild leave the sign up, BUT I would make up a flyer, on how to find a responsible breeder of which we have a sticky here:)
I agree with this. You don't know what kind of breeder they are and you have no right to take down their sign. It could be considered vandalism. I would make up a flyer with picture of some of the dogs in shelter and a part on finding a reputable breeder (stressing the health aspects).

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I would. . . .

SMASH SOME WINDOWS!
Nah, we've become much too soft to get so physical. I'd just chain myself to the fence post, play with my gameboy while I quietly chant, "We will not be moved..."

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm seriously digging the riot idea, frankly. I haven't had a good "cause" in a long time.

In all fairness, I do not KNOW that these folks are BYBs. I made an assumption based on the fact that there was a hand-made sign posted in a public area viewed by the masses. In my experience, most of the people who go to the dog park are in fact, dog lovers, but are not the most educated folks when it comes to reasons for not encouraging responsible breeding practices (I would have considered myself in that category up until about a year ago, in fact). I won't be calling the guy to find out either.

Who decides what signs are okay to put up? If you mean who regulates the board? I would guess no one based on the age of most of the materials there. If you mean in a more philosophical sense, I wouldn't say I have the right to tell him not to put up his sign. Conversely, he can't tell me not to put my sign up that might give a potential buyer something to think about.

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
If anyone is allowed to post signs on the bullitin board, pulling down someone else's sign is wrong.

If they want to advertise that way, and are breaking no laws, that is their right.

Posting a sign advocating adopting from a shelter is certainly your right.

I do not know whether I would do it though. You really do not know the whole story. Maybe this is a long time member of this park, and she rescued a young APBT bitch who turned out to be pregnant. No, she will probably not have the same set of places to advertise the litter as an ordinary reputable breeder.

So before starting a riot or posting a sign advocating shelters and rescues, at least find out what you can about the puppies in question.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Perhaps it's the antiquated notion that "responsible breeders" don't advertise in newspapers or on the internet that make people think that anyone who does, must be a BYB.
Maybe "responsible breeders" should advertise so that the average consumer who does no research on the product they're buying has some options.
A lot of people at dog parks come off as elitist douchebags that just go on about breeders because they happen to have a matching set of purebred dogs; not because they're trying to educate others and save animal lives; so people stop listening.
Many people I've met have heard so many negative things about breeders being overly selective that they think they wouldn't even remotely qualify to purchase from a breeder, so they purchase from a petstore because they still want purebred dogs.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Many people I've met have heard so many negative things about breeders being overly selective that they think they wouldn't even remotely qualify to purchase from a breeder, so they purchase from a petstore because they still want purebred dogs.
I have to admit- since joining this forum, I wonder if I don't hold to this belief. Definitely prior, I would think anyone could go to a breeder and walk away with a dog. But it does seem (in my ignorant view, based solely on posts on this forum- of which, I couldn't provide an example) that it would be difficult for anyone looking for a "pet" GSD to get one from a breeder. To me, it seems that most breeders will only produce ultra-high drive working dogs that would not suffice for a "pet." This isn't a bad thing, but for someone only recently discovering dog sports- I do wonder if I would "qualify."

If breeders did more advertising, maybe I wouldn't have this opinion- based on the grounds that they are advertising to "normal" people looking for a pet GSD.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have always been a little unsure as to what a BYB was but I think I have figured it out.

BYB- anyone other than the person posting who has ever had a pet dog that became pregnant.

Puppy Mill- anyone other than the person posting who has had more than one dog that had a litter of puppies.

Responsible breeder- The person posting or a person who bred a dog that the person posting likes.

This is not meant to be a reflection on any individual, just a general impression of the attitudes that many folks express

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
rescued a young APBT bitch who turned out to be pregnant. No, she will probably not have the same set of places to advertise the litter as an ordinary reputable breeder.
Good point. But, would they be selling the puppies if this were the case?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I know of several very good breeders that advertise in the papers, human nature is such that everyone should adhere to the standards of a few to be in vogue so to speak, I know what I like as far as quality goes, I've always been one to march to my own drum so to speak. I remember well over 30 years ago I had a mare I bred from two different breeds, I liked what each one brought to the table, all the snobs at my stable questioned my decision to breed that resulting mare as she was just a lowly " grade" horse, not purebred, she want on to produce 3 champions out of 4 foals, and was ridiculously more successful than anything the snobs ever bred, in the world of horses at least, some of the greatest success stories have been produced in the backyards of dreamers. Khemosabi, the great Bey Shah and Fame VF, all produced in small backyards, owned and bred by people with nothing more than a horse and a dream. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Remember, guys. We are talking about a hand made sign at a dog park. Not someone who paid to run an ad in the newspaper.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have to admit- since joining this forum, I wonder if I don't hold to this belief. Definitely prior, I would think anyone could go to a breeder and walk away with a dog. But it does seem (in my ignorant view, based solely on posts on this forum- of which, I couldn't provide an example) that it would be difficult for anyone looking for a "pet" GSD to get one from a breeder. To me, it seems that most breeders will only produce ultra-high drive working dogs that would not suffice for a "pet." This isn't a bad thing, but for someone only recently discovering dog sports- I do wonder if I would "qualify."

If breeders did more advertising, maybe I wouldn't have this opinion- based on the grounds that they are advertising to "normal" people looking for a pet GSD.

I know we didn't qualify to rescue because we don't have a yard.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I would leave the sign (to avoid vandalism, haha!) and put your own sign up. Lots of Humane Societies or Shelters have pre-printed form signs for you to hang.

As for determining if this is a BYB, here is the deal: Any REPUTABLE breeder will already have homes lined up for the puppies they bred, hence none available to sell on a handmade sign. Second, the sign said "Pit Bull Puppies". Again, any reputable breeder would call them APBT not "Pit Bull" which is a social class NOT a breed.

I think feeding raw or kibble is an afterthought here :)

Education is the key....those of us involved in rescue know just how many "Pit Bulls" there are in shelters across the country, **** I have a 4 month old pup in the shelter we work with here. It's getting the word out to others who may not realize this is the truth so go ahead, put up your sign!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
If anyone is allowed to post signs on the bullitin board, pulling down someone else's sign is wrong.

If they want to advertise that way, and are breaking no laws, that is their right.

Posting a sign advocating adopting from a shelter is certainly your right.
Ditto. As tempted as I would be to remove a sign (if I knew for sure though that it was a byb) its still wrong. Not saying I might not do it, but that would be for someone I knew for SURE if I did...

But put up your own sign. If the breeder IS a responsible breeder, then they would be all for rescue and adoption. Especially for the breed they so much love. So I think putting up an educating sign is win win. But make sure its educating, not lecturing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As for determining if this is a BYB, here is the deal: Any REPUTABLE breeder will already have homes lined up for the puppies they bred, hence none available to sell on a handmade sign. Second, the sign said "Pit Bull Puppies". Again, any reputable breeder would call them APBT not "Pit Bull" which is a social class NOT a breed.!
This is the best post yet! 100% Agree with you!

21 - 40 of 53 Posts