German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Outside our local dog park is a bulletin board that mostly has "lost & found" signs, occasionally ads for dog walkers and such. I noticed yesterday that a BYB has posted a sign advertising "Pit Bull" puppies for sale. Part of me wants to take the sign down, but I thought a better approach might be to post my own sign next to it asking people who want dogs to please visit the Humane Society or local rescue groups instead. I volunteer at the Humane Society and 75% of the animals there are bully breeds.

Here's my question:

Is it better to possibly incite a riot with my own sign but educate some folks who may not have thought about the evils of BYBs before

OR

Take down the sign discretely?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I believe I would be tempted to take down the other sign, but then would the puppies still be safe or would they be abandoned somewhere? It's a tough call but putting up a sign to adopt from the shelter is a good idea even if the other sign remains.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
How much you wanna bet they're not even pit bulls?

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Because good, reputable breeders always post for sale signs outside of dog parks?
I don't discount the point you are driving at, and I wanted to ask about it. It seems to be a common thought on this forum (I am not a member of any other dog forum) that responsible (i.e., non-BYBs) actually don't advertise in such locations. I wonder though- why couldn't they? It seems logical to me:

If- Dog lovers go to dog parks
And- Breeders want to sell to dog lovers
Then- Advertising at a dog park would be good for the breeder.

I'm obviously asking ignorantly about this. I don't know much about breeders or how they advertise. It just seems odd to assume anyone advertising at a dog park must be a BYB.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Because good, reputable breeders always post for sale signs outside of dog parks?
So you're telling me if I have two AKC/UKC OB titled APBT's, health tested, OFA Good or Excellent and I breed them.

I then feed the puppies raw food, socialize themas much as possible and interview all potential buyers.

I then post a flier at a dog park I'm suddenly a BYB?

Get real.

·
Registered
30,381 Posts
Is it possible for you to make a post that is not obnoxious?

So you're telling me if I have two AKC/UKC OB titled APBT's, health tested, OFA Good or Excellent and I breed them.

I then feed the puppies raw food, socialize themas much as possible and interview all potential buyers.

I then post a flier at a dog park I'm suddenly a BYB?

Get real.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Okay. So there's a possibility that it's a reputable breeder. But what are the honest chances that it is, especially with pit bulls?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I really don't think good breeders post signs at dog parks to get people to buy their puppies. They must be desperate if they do IMO.

I see signs like this at my own college's bulletin board.

I say put your own sign up.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts