German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i currently have a male shepherd, about 14 months old, and he is pretty much scared of the world unless there is another dog around. so we have been pondering the thought of adding another dog into the home, and we finally agreed to do so, and we found a female 8 mo old GSD. ive always rescued pups before, but this is from a breeder, 8 Month Old Female - Shepherd's Meadow AKC German Shepherd Puppies and Adults Florida Breeder.

Ive already gone and seen her twice, and im going to bring my male to meet her soon as well to make sure they get along, but is there anything in particular i should be asking? she seems to have a EXTREMELY tight bond with her current owner (follows him around everywhere) so that was a bit concerning, i wasnt sure if that bond will be able to be broken and re-bonded with me.

her drive is spot on and is very motivated to please. great energy, might be on the small side but not 100% positive. i saw one of her sisters from another litter (2 years old), and she seemed great, full of energy.

so do you think that bond with her owner is going to be a problem?

·
Registered
785 Posts
I keep coming back to this thread hoping someone with more experience will chime in, I wouldn't be worried about the bond with the owner being a problem as she's still young and dogs adapt fairly easy to their new surrounding.

My biggest concern is bringing a still impressionable puppy into a household with a dog that is "scared of the world unless there is another dog around". Before I brought another dog in who could possibly learn this behavior unless they have stellar nerves, I would work on the dog you already have with a trainer/behaviorist and overcome his fears.

I'm not an expert by any means but I would work on fixing the problems rather than potentially adding to them. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah we have been working with trainers and behaviorists for him since we got him...even with medications etc.. and the only thing that really helps him is when another dog is around.

i was concerned about my dog impressing onto the female pup, but she has some pretty solid nerves on her, but i definitely want them to meet first to see who is going to be the dominant one.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
My poodle is very fearful; I brought Delgado into our family for me not for her as she actively dislikes other dogs. She would much prefer being around humans then dogs, that's for sure.

I have noticed that Delgado watches out for her, when she whines to be let outside he runs to me to make sure I'm aware that she needs something. If she gets stepped on by accident and yelps he's immediately on scene making sure she's alright. She was scared by another dog on leash a few months ago and he lunged and barked at the dog even with his prong on in his first display of aggression I've ever seen from him. When we frequented the dog park he would circle dogs that would be around her and encourage them to play with him rather than bug her. He’s a good “little” brother to her

On the opposite side I have seen Jazzy's fears get better, whether that's due to age and training or having a confident dog around I don't know. She has grown and while I don't expect her to magically become perfect, she has been making good progress

Delgado has never taken on any of Jazzy's nervous habits thankfully; even when she's shaking he's still cool as a cucumber. So while I don't encourage people to get a second dog with a fearful one, it can work out and be helpful

1 - 4 of 4 Posts