German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 month old male who just loves other dogs. My partner and I work full time and the thought of him alone waiting for us makes me so sad. My partner and I know of a female GSD x Husky his age which we are able to adopt and are thinking of getting her as a friend for him. I haven’t been able to find much online about buying an additional puppy at this stage and if it will be really good for our boy or just create problems for him, my partner and I. We have already organised a 24 hour trial with the GSD x Husky and if it doesn’t go well we are able to return her. Urgent thoughts???

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Don't do it. Your puppy is way too young to bring another puppy in. Research "littermate syndrome." You'll be tripling the amount of work you'll have to do, not creating less work. Each puppy will need separate socialization, playtime, training, and exercise. If you don't put all the work in, your pups will become "doggy" meaning they will like and prefer each over their humans. Both dogs will need to learn to be able to exist without each other, which means you have to do everything separately with each puppy. What happens if one needs to stay at the vet overnight and the puppies are so used to being together that they can't handle being apart? It's just a disaster.

Aside from all of that, you should never get a pet for your pet. Get a second dog because you want one, not because you think your current dog is lonely. If he's lonely, spend more time with him yourself. Get a dog walker to come part way through the day. Come home at lunch to spend time with him. Have you thought about what happens if the dogs seem to get along at first, but later on they suddenly hate each other? Are you ready for a crate and rotate situation? Have you thought about how you're going to keep them separate when the female comes into heat so they don't accidentally breed? Have you considered the time and monetary requirements for two dogs?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I've not had two puppies the same age, but...have you heard of littermate syndrome? I would be very reticent to have two puppies at the same time due to that.

You'll also have to consider when you fix one/both of them to prevent oopsies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much everyone! I’m quite annoyed at my vet who has spent a lot of time with my boy and every time she has been training with us/him was highly recommending I do this and do it now. I’ll cancel the 24 hour trial.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I would switch vets stat! Being knowledgeable about behavior is just as important as diagnosing illnesses. I would wait until your pup is 2 before adding another, if you decide you want to.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thank you so much everyone! I’m quite annoyed at my vet who has spent a lot of time with my boy and every time she has been training with us/him was highly recommending I do this and do it now. I’ll cancel the 24 hour trial.
Tell her your answer is your final answer. Admonish her for trying to push a dog on you if you like. Or switch vets. Pushy vets suck.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
As someone who has raised two same age puppies together as well as three puppies a couple of times, I have never experienced any of the problems described here as Littermate Syndrome. My pups have a good time with each other and none have become "doggie". I find raising two puppies is much easier than one and I have not jumped through hoops to spend one on one time with any of them.

What I would be most concerned about would be same sex aggression but that is not the issue here.

The only thing I would be concerned with would be a size disparity between the dogs. I have found that a smaller female with a larger male can result in injuries due to the size difference.

I would not cancel your 24 hour trial period. Try it. You are not required to do anything more after that.

Take some time to watch Stonnie Dennis on YouTube. He has videos on training and working with multiple dogs as well as videos working with littermates.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would switch vets stat! Being knowledgeable about behavior is just as important as diagnosing illnesses. I would wait until your pup is 2 before adding another, if you decide you want to.
I agree, some vets out there are complete quacks...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts