German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so Arlo is back to his healthy self.. he was a perfect pup until he got sick. Once he got better, now he is a free spirit!!

Some things we're trying to address:

Chewing. Not bad, but he likes loose items. Furniture not an issue.. but a blinket on the couch, items on the floor such as shoes, fabrics, ect.

Digging. The other day he dug up a single 12"x12" stone on the front patio and all the sand under it. Today, a huge hole in the ground in the backyard.

Commands.. well he doesn't listen to the girly well at all! He'll listen to me but some commands I need to be very firm and raise my voice - which I don't like diong....

Chasing the cats. He doesn't attack, just runs after em if they run away. Otherwise he'll just try to sniff em. Most the time the result is the cats getting their nail stuck in his skin somewhere, usually on his face. He still trys to sniff em though. The one cat will actually let him pet her with his nose :rolleyes: But again, main thing is chasing the cats when they run away.

He knows to go to the door to be let out to potty. Laying by the door means eh, I gotta go, but finish your online game daddy. I can wait.

Standing and a paw scratch on the door means I gotta go now!!

Crying and paw scratching = Let me out now! NOW!

That said, he'll do that but doesn't have to go to the bathroom!! I personally think it's cause he wants to play in the snow in the front yard.. but maybe someone else had this issue? He'll come back on command but it's annoying letting him out twice an hour to see him just dash into the snow and run around.

Lastly, when will the "butthead" stage end you think? He started roughly 10 months..We are scheduled to move roughly March to Texas and last thing I need is poorly behaved dog durring the move...

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
That said, he'll do that but doesn't have to go to the bathroom!! I personally think it's cause he wants to play in the snow in the front yard.. but maybe someone else had this issue? He'll come back on command but it's annoying letting him out twice an hour to see him just dash into the snow and run around.
That's probably exactly what it is, he wants to play! How long do you let him run around for? Are you sure he's getting enough exercise? You know that old saying..."A tired puppy is a good puppy" :)

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Well they all go through it and it seems the males hit it a little later and enjoy it longer than the females. Mine needed a lot more exercise at 10 mos and got into this deep heavy chewing phase like he was needing to work his jaws to chew a deer in half or something. I'm in TX and I got started him in sheep herding lessons which wear him out mentally and physically and it's so much fun for both of us. Sounds like Arlo could use an obedience class of some sort to get his brain in gear, or start practicing NILF during the move. Has he been neutered? Where in TX are you moving to?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's not fixed, yet. Will be before the move though.

He does get enough time outside I think. Between fetch, walks, backyard play time (two hours with toys, birds, dogs on other side of fence..)

I'll be in McAllen, TX. Traveling up and down the border. He'll be with me pretty much 24/7. Out in the field, and office, and ofcourse home.. One problem I may see is hotel stays when traveling up the border.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should I stick with my orig. training method, or be more strict?

I don't want to punish him anymore than I have to, but I also don't want to constintly correct him. I also don't want to be using too much force to make him fearful

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'm going through the butthead stage too ;)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you and your GF need to train your dog more. where are you
when he's chewing things in the house and digging up the yard?
are you usuing a crate. everybody thinks their dog is a "butthead" when they do things they haven't been trained not to do. everybody thinks their dog
is a "butthead" when you're not watching them and they do things you don't
want to do. when you train, socialize and watch a dog that "butthead" stage
disappears or never developes.

Okay so Arlo is back to his healthy self.. he was a perfect pup until he got sick. Once he got better, now he is a free spirit!!

Some things we're trying to address:

Chewing. Not bad, but he likes loose items. Furniture not an issue.. but a blinket on the couch, items on the floor such as shoes, fabrics, ect.

Digging. The other day he dug up a single 12"x12" stone on the front patio and all the sand under it. Today, a huge hole in the ground in the backyard.

Commands.. well he doesn't listen to the girly well at all! He'll listen to me but some commands I need to be very firm and raise my voice - which I don't like diong....

Chasing the cats. He doesn't attack, just runs after em if they run away. Otherwise he'll just try to sniff em. Most the time the result is the cats getting their nail stuck in his skin somewhere, usually on his face. He still trys to sniff em though. The one cat will actually let him pet her with his nose :rolleyes: But again, main thing is chasing the cats when they run away.

He knows to go to the door to be let out to potty. Laying by the door means eh, I gotta go, but finish your online game daddy. I can wait.

Standing and a paw scratch on the door means I gotta go now!!

Crying and paw scratching = Let me out now! NOW!

Lastly, when will the "butthead" stage end you think? He started roughly 10 months..We are scheduled to move roughly March to Texas and last thing I need is poorly behaved dog durring the move...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you and your GF need to train your dog more. where are you
when he's chewing things in the house and digging up the yard?
are you usuing a crate. everybody thinks their dog is a "butthead" when they do things they haven't been trained not to do. everybody thinks their dog
is a "butthead" when you're not watching them and they do things you don't
want to do. when you train, socialize and watch a dog that "butthead" stage
disappears or never developes.
:rolleyes:

Sorry.. I didn't do any of those things. Maybe I'll try that first!

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Seems like you've got a bored dog on your hands.

German Shepherds are very smart dogs and they need to be challenged in some way or another. Playing fetch isn't going to always cut it. They need to go out and do things. Their mind needs to be challenged through training or some other type of outlet.

Is he being challenged mentally as well as physically?

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Keep your rules consistent, and follow the advice the others have shared. Keep your patience as best you can. Be prepared to spend another six months or so with a butthead. But remember it will get better, and you'll have a great dog soon.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Time in the yard by himself doesn't count as exercise, unless you count the holes he digs. Walks barely count unless they are over 2 miles. Playing fetch for at least 15 minutes is better because he is running and using his brain to locate what he's fetching (assuming he has to run and you throw it to different places).
If he has to beg to go out you aren't responding fast enough, that's asking for an accident. If he has enough chew toys and hard beef bones he shouldn't have the need to chew on anything of yours.
I don't mean to sound like preaching but like most of the others here we have gone through the same butt-head phase and had to meet the challenge of our dogs' growing intelligence and level of energy. Good luck. A GSD is very time- and energy-consuming.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Frank is in the butthead stage right now too at 8 1/2 months he's been there for about a month, one thing i can really tell is if we don't have our obed. training session every day he's worse. I take him out every day for a specific training time, he still gets exercise, but on days when due to weather we can't get out for his regular exercise just the training time really seems to make a difference, I also make it a point to do the NILF for everyting.

·
Registered
481 Posts
He seems bored. Mine will ask to go outside when they don't actually need to potty only if they either heard something out there, or one of the other dogs is out. A great way to occupy his mind is to make him work for everything. Try using the NILF method, and I bet you will see almost immediate changes!

·
Registered
3 Posts
We're going through this stage too. They sure know how to test your resolve (and patience). Like some of the others said...plenty of stimulation for you dog is key. That's the biggest helper I've found while dealing with our dog. Hope your move goes smoothly.

·
Registered
168 Posts
LOL Brewski has been doing the out the door in the door thing since it snowed! He barks and so forth at the patio door, so I leave my online game and let him out. I sit back down, he is barking at the door as if to come in, leave online game let him in. No out, no in, I let him out stand at the door to watch him, he jumps on the trampoline stares at me barking!
I get dressed go outside, he grabs his stick and runs around and around with me standing there. Finally I get the stick, I throw it the stick hits a pole breaks in two. He then does the head tilt (mentioned in another thread) at me as if to say "what did you do to my stick" I come in, he comes in and we start all over again!
Decided to keep him occupied and working, I throw balls that will sink in the snow about 8 of them, along with a few treats that sink. Brewski then is occupied as he plow sniff his toys and treats out of the snow throughout the yard!

So in my opinion your GSD is telling you to get of the computer and play with them! LOL

·
Registered
728 Posts
He's bored. 2 hrs. of play is not enough, I play with Rem pretty much every waking hour, unless he's eating, peeing or training. But I'm at home all day, taking care of my mom and the house, so I'm fortunate to be able to devote so much time to him.

And no offense... but it's time to give up the games online. I mean maybe play a little when he's asleep, but otherwise, he's a baby, he needs your full attention. If he's bored, he's unhappy, and you don't want that, right? I used to play a lot of FB games - not anymore, gave 'em up to take care of Rem. He won't be a puppy forever, go back to them when he's grown.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ah, you gotta love sexual maturity. Even if your dog is altered, they are going to go through this stage where they are hellions. They won't listen to you, and it seems like they will do everything BUT obey you...as well as get into trouble. Think of it like your typical teenager. I could go into reasons behind chewing, digging, etc, but to answer your bottom line question, sexual maturity can start anywhere from 5-7 months and last til the dog is 1 maybe 1 1/2. With patience, consistency, and turning up the notch as far as training goes, this too shall pass :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He's bored. 2 hrs. of play is not enough, I play with Rem pretty much every waking hour, unless he's eating, peeing or training. But I'm at home all day, taking care of my mom and the house, so I'm fortunate to be able to devote so much time to him.

And no offense... but it's time to give up the games online. I mean maybe play a little when he's asleep, but otherwise, he's a baby, he needs your full attention. If he's bored, he's unhappy, and you don't want that, right? I used to play a lot of FB games - not anymore, gave 'em up to take care of Rem. He won't be a puppy forever, go back to them when he's grown.
Lol what??

Speaking of playing games, he hasnt been to the dog park in awhile. I miss those days :(

·
Registered
728 Posts
Well then get out there! xD But haha didn't you say in the OP at the end he lays by the door and that means "keep playing online games, I can wait." :p

Rem has had a couple of little butthead-ish things happen, but it's always my fault, like earlier today (I just need to get this off my chest, lol, sorry)...

So I had a pain medication injection today, first time getting this stuff. It made me sick, so I was in the bathroom, ya know, "being sick." Rem had to go out then, and scratched the back door. Instead of, oh, I dunno, STOPPING HIM, my mom let him do it, and then yelled and screamed at ME! I was sick, what was I supposed to do!? Now she's saying it's going to cost 4 grand to replace the door, when all it needs is a light sanding and a bit of stain, and if the door was solid gold it wouldn't cost 4 grand!

Sorry, had to vent, I've been up here stewing about it for like 2 hours now, lol. But the point is, the second you're not watching, they do butthead stuff. Part of being a puppy.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He does butt head stuff even when watching!! Lol

Sorry to hear about your door. Tho it's kinda funny..4 grand haha

Now i know what you mean about games! I hate facebook games. But I do play black ops on my playstation. Unfortantly during online game play, can't pause it. And only time I can play is between 9:30-11:30 after girl goes to bed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts