German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup is a year old now -- yay! She's 24" high and 68lb. I've noticed that before she has big growth spurts she usually gets a bit butt high and then she'll balance out again. She was spayed at 4 months (I got her from a rescue). I took her to the vet again today and noticed that she's butt high again. Is this like with horses where they'll balance out whenever they're reaching maturity? I just feel like it's kind of late in the game to be growing taller, especially since she's already so large. Could her conformation just be that she stays a little downhill? Could she still have another growth spurt due to being spayed at such a young age? Ive read that they usually stop getting taller at like 9-12 months and then just have some filling out to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
It's because she was spayed so young. Removing the hormones delays the closing of the growth plates of the bones, causing the dog to grow taller than it normally would.

Next time, do NOT spay until the dog is finished growing, which is usually around 1 year of age! Waiting until after the first heat is a good idea, because at that point you know the hormones have done what they are supposed to do.

Some recommend waiting until 2 years of age, which is when final OFA hip x-rays can be done for dysplasia

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
It’s probably just the way she is genetically going to be, as far as her structure goes. You may notice some more changes as she gets older. She doesn’t have a ton of angulation in the back, which could contribute to her rear being higher.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
It's because she was spayed so young. Removing the hormones delays the closing of the growth plates of the bones, causing the dog to grow taller than it normally would.

Next time, do NOT spay until the dog is finished growing, which is usually around 1 year of age! Waiting until after the first heat is a good idea, because at that point you know the hormones have done what they are supposed to do.

Some recommend waiting until 2 years of age, which is when final OFA hip x-rays can be done for dysplasia
The OP mentioned they got the dog from rescue. I doubt they had any choice over how young she was when she was spayed.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Nothing you can really do about it. Like others mentioned, the very early spay is most likely the culprit. I know that was out of your control but now you know. Personally I'm waiting until mine is 2 years to spay. Still debating on which spay to go with...

I'm sure you'll still love her for how she is! Gorgeous dog!

·
Premium Member
438 Posts

So I assume this is a chance of something that can happen because I have not seen this in other GSD'S. In her case the OP is talking about a non purebred dog also which could be the reason she's butt hight.

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
Could it be that at the vet, she is more subdued? If I am not happy I look like that too. What if she is perky, happy, active?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Hi, yes I am aware about waiting to spay and the how hormones affect growth. I will likely always have rescues, so it's just something I have to deal with lol.

But was your point that yes she will probably even out / is still growing due to her growth plates closing later?

It doesn't matter to me if she stays this way. I was just curious because I read on other forums that dogs get butt high like horses until they finish growing. Trying to get an idea about if she will ever stop lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could it be that at the vet, she is more subdued? If I am not happy I look like that too. What if she is perky, happy, active?
Hmmm I'll study her when she's out in the yard later ? maybe her posture was just weird when I noticed it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nothing you can really do about it. Like others mentioned, the very early spay is most likely the culprit. I know that was out of your control but now you know. Personally I'm waiting until mine is 2 years to spay. Still debating on which spay to go with...

I'm sure you'll still love her for how she is! Gorgeous dog!

Thank you! She's a great dog and I will always think she's beautiful regardless ?

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
There are breeds who have a higher butt, like the Chinook and the Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Maybe your dog isn't purebred after all (Alaskan Husky blood maybe?)If that is the case, it isn't fair to her to compare her to purebred GSDs. She looks like a lovely, sturdy dog.

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
A lot of dogs are butt high when they’re young. Sometimes it corrects itself, sometimes not!

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
It looks like her rear legs are positioned more forward than most, similar to what you might see with a dog attempting to hold more weight up front. Possibly due to structure or is something else going on there?

·
Registered
4,687 Posts

This is a mixed breed rescue dog, and without knowing specifically what she is, you have no idea what the dogs conformation would be without having done an early spay. It could just as easily be the dogs genetic conformation, and the accusatory tone of your post isn’t helpful.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
This is a mixed breed rescue dog, and without knowing specifically what she is, you have no idea what the dogs conformation would be without having done an early spay. It could just as easily be the dogs genetic conformation, and the accusatory tone of your post isn’t helpful.
But also...anybody who is going to adopt from a rescue group or shelter is almost 100% of the time going to get a speutered dog with no control over when it was done. As OP said, that's just par for the course if you get a dog from most of these places. It's not like they had any say in the dog getting spayed at 4 months! Both dogs I've adopted were neutered, although the first had JUST been neutered at age 2 so he actually had had the opportunity to grow up with his nuts, but that was just the luck of the draw. #2 was neutered at 10 months because that's when the organization picked him up as a stray.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There are breeds who have a higher butt, like the Chinook and the Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Maybe your dog isn't purebred after all (Alaskan Husky blood maybe?)If that is the case, it isn't fair to her to compare her to purebred GSDs. She looks like a lovely, sturdy dog.

Thank you! I appreciate the kind words. She is mixed with some Siberian Husky, but I didn't think huskies were built like that either... I could definitely be wrong tho since I'm not super familiar with them.

·
Registered
708 Posts
In horses we call this a "downhill" build, and often youngsters in their awkward stage are downhill before they mature and straighten out, so to speak. :) either way your pup should be just fine!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts