German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frank is 8 months old now, and I decided he was doing so good in the house he could start staying out of his crate at night.
We've been working on this for about a week, my Husband and I always watch a little tv in bed before going to sleep. Frank has decided he'll lay on the floor on my side of the bed. He's so good and settles down nicely.
Just one problem about 11pm he gets up taps me on the arm and goes into the other room and gets in his crate.
I tried leaving him figuring he would get the hint that he could stay out but he'll come back and continue to tap me with his paw and stare at me till I get up tell him good night, shut and lock his crate door.
Silly puppy maybe I should put a night light next to my bed like I did the kids when they moved to seperate bedrooms. :D

·
Registered
485 Posts
That's cute :)

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
aaww that's cute.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
That is so cute!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Consistency makes the world go around with dogs. You might try getting a dog bed. I never would have dreamed that my female would fall "in love" with hers. It took me all of 5 minutes to teach the "go to your bed" command and now she gets rather damanding if it is not available.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Aww that's cute!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Silly Frank! :) He sounds like one well-trained pup to me. Panzer is more than happy to go in his crate when I leave for work, but come night time, he's a bed dog!

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
When Karlo was that age, he was free at night. He use to whimper until I turned off the bedroom tv. I don't think he liked the lighting or the noise. I don't go to bed with the tv on much anymore, and when I do he will still wimper.
Does Frank have a crate pad, maybe put that next to your bed and see if it will help settle him. Dogs are routine, and really do get set in their ways!

·
Registered
119 Posts
That is so stinkin' cute :) I can't wait until Frankie gets old enough to be able to sleep outside of his crate. I hope he adjusts! Right now we can't even get him to enjoy his big boy bed in the living room. He was stuck on this itty bitty one. We have put it right on top of the new one but he has decided that it isn't the same and that the spot under the couch below our feet is much better. Silly boys!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When Karlo was that age, he was free at night. He use to whimper until I turned off the bedroom tv. I don't think he liked the lighting or the noise. I don't go to bed with the tv on much anymore, and when I do he will still wimper.
Does Frank have a crate pad, maybe put that next to your bed and see if it will help settle him. Dogs are routine, and really do get set in their ways!
he doesn't have a pad in his crate, I had a dog once that ate their crate pad so since then I havent' used them. We do have carpeting in the bedroom so maybe he likes the floor in his crate to sleep on (cooler?)
I think my husbad would stop me if I cut a square of carpeting out for him to sleep on in the bedroom :D
the tv off or on doesnt' seem to make a difference to him, I'll just keep leaving him out each night till he doesn't ask to go to his crate, at night is the only long time he's in his crate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts