German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Surprising our grass came in really nice this spring. I did not think possible in some areas. I seem to give up but was really enjoying the nice lush green grass in the recent weeks. Now the grass is getting destroyed again by the urine spots. I believed I asked this question before but it is very difficult to hose down the grass after the dogs do their thing. Is there a sturdy grass seed that is more resistant to dog urine. You can see the spots in the grass in the photo. Is it better to keep the grass longer. I ask the landscaper they just say I have to many dogs not much help. Lol! I do regret not training them in a spot in the yard as pups but they were winter pups so it was potty time was as close to the house as possible and still seems to be where they go to this day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol! Some spots are not that pretty. I was really on the verge of giving up but do enjoy that green grass. I think I’m looking for magic seeds lol! They must be out there. We have a friend that has 6 dogs they have a area where they do their thing in a fenced off area. I’m just not set up for that maybe one day.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In my area, a mix of grass seed and clover is quite common, as the clover is very hardy while still providing a nice soft green coverage. If you're open to it not being 100% grass it might be worth looking into! :)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I am not sure how to put this nicely.

Shadows toileting spot boasts some of the healthiest grass in my yard. In contrast, I have men who frequent my garage that are not properly house broken so they tend to relieve themselves by the back gate, that grass is dead and has no hope of resurrection.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
When we lived with another family, they were slightly OCD about their yard being perfect. They insisted we give my dog some grass saving treats everyday. Supposedly the treats prevented those burn spots. It did seem to work, but I did not like giving her random, probably unhealthy treats that were full of chemicals. If you can find something more natural to give your dogs, that may work for your grass.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I read that grass burns where the heaviest urine concentration hits but the out parameters of grass benefits. After reading it, I did notice how lush the grass was around the burn spots. The spring rains usually do a good job of diluting so the burn spots won't show up until a little later in the season.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I am not sure how to put this nicely.

Shadows toileting spot boasts some of the healthiest grass in my yard. In contrast, I have men who frequent my garage that are not properly house broken so they tend to relieve themselves by the back gate, that grass is dead and has no hope of resurrection.
Just out of curiosity, do the dogs gravitate and urinate where the men mark? A little off topic but .....

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The only thing I know that isn't going to affect your dog's system is just pouring some water on the area after they have peed so that you dilute it so it isn't strong enough to burn the grass. The worst pee is the morning pee that they've been holding for a long time.

We have this issue too... I love my green grass, I don't like the burn marks.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Pythias-I heard about something but I heard was not healthy to give dogs.

Heart and soul yeah interesting.

Maaresy-Luna is a digger but she seems to have gotten better but everyone and then a pot whole appeared she almost dig up the patio the other day caught her just in time lol!

·
4,501 Posts
I once read to try tall fescue. The idea is that their roots go deeper so they might sustain less damage. I basically try to encourage my dogs to pee in less noticeable areas. I have a crazy mix of ground cover in my yard, so grass is not my area of expertise.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only thing I know that isn't going to affect your dog's system is just pouring some water on the area after they have peed so that you dilute it so it isn't strong enough to burn the grass. The worst pee is the morning pee that they've been holding for a long time.

We have this issue too... I love my green grass, I don't like the burn marks.
Hmm this is good if I cAn my butt out their in the morning and throw a pot of water on it may help doing just that one time a day.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Maaresy-Luna is a digger but she seems to have gotten better but everyone and then a pot whole appeared she almost dig up the patio the other day caught her just in time lol!
Mieke would lay on top of the hole and lay her head down when you would clearly catch her and yell at her. She also got angry as we followed her around with a shovel and filled the holes in. She developed OCD with digging (supposedly) they tried to manage it with different medications but my mother didn't like that it nuked her personality. She got better as she got a bit older. Oh also the dead looking tree was a bush my guy Nitro in the picture (that handsome fella wearing all white) was determined to kill. I think it stayed so long because my mom was determined to make it work.

·
Registered
946 Posts
@Jenny720

I too must know how to prevent this, if at all possible, or how to fix it. I'm taking her across the street to pee in the only spot our stupid HOA takes care of. It is hard to hit it with water right after ALL the time, I know.

·
Registered
946 Posts
@Jenny720

I too must know how to prevent this, if at all possible, or how to fix it. I'm taking her across the street to pee in the only spot our stupid HOA takes care of. It is hard to hit it with water right after ALL the time, I know.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts