German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still very new to the forum so if this has been covered before I apologize. I am confused by the bunny hop term. I understand in theory what it means. My pup uses what I would consider a traditional gait while walking or trotting but when she goes into a full sprint she moves her back legs in one motion and it sort of looks like a bunny hopping. Is that something to be concerned about? She is 5 months old. She never acts like she is in pain, she lays comfortably in different positions and it only presents itself when she is sprinting.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
32,379 Posts
That would be the bunny hop..when they are not using their back legs independently. At some point, you should get her xrayed but if nothing is bothering her, I would wait until she's a year.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing appears to be bothering her at all. She runs around and plays with Phoenix our 7 year old Doberman constantly. I probably wouldn't have thought anything about it except for seeing that term on this forum. As I said she uses her rear legs independently while walking and jogging/trotting but when she sprints the back legs move together... So do her front legs actually. To me it looks like a normal way for a dog to sprint. She lays her ears flat and takes off

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my pup bunny hopped untill he was 5 months old or older.
i told his breeder and she said "he doesn't know how to
run yet". took him to the Vet. the Vet came outside to
watch him move. the Vet said " he's not coordinated".
i insisted on x-rays. the Vet said "i can save you some money.
he's fine". i insisted on the x-rays. hundreds of dollars later
the x-rays showed he was fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts