German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If its not one thing, its another with Kaiser. After tearing a pad almost completely off he is on "bed duty". On top of that, he scratched up his nose/snout pretty badly breaking out of his x-pen today. And as I sit here and worry about working through possible anxiety issues, I realize that he is also bunny hopping.

I've noticed several times (but I've honestly tried to let my optimism overshadow my fear) that over the past few months Kaiser very obviously bunny hops. He pretty much always does it when he is searching for something (ie a ball lost in tall grass) and he will trot with his front legs and "bunny hop" with his back legs. Usually that transitions into a full trot at some point, or a slow gallop, but usually the bunny hop happens after a walk as the transition point (and it last longer than I'd like). He doesn't do it on walks, nor does he do it during a full out run. Its just showing up somewhere between the walk, pace, and full trot, if that makes sense.

He doesn't limp or show any outward signs of pain. He is VERY active.

I also notice he pops and cracks a lot when laying down or standing up.

I know x-rays are the only way to verify hips, but he's not even a year and a half old yet.

Could this possibly be something other than HD?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Our business neighbor has a dog that walks this way. He's a shelter dog and I don't know his history all I can say is that it did not affect his personality, he's a great, happy dog. The owner says he does get tired easy and hungry, it must take a lot of energy to walk this way. This dog is opposite from yours, at a very slow pace he can walk normal, it's when he speeds up that he bunny hops. Next time I see him I'll ask what his condition is called.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gretchen. I'm going to try to get a video of Kaiser, but this is definitely not an "all the time thing". We can go for a 2 hour walk and he won't do it. He can take off at a full sprint and he won't do it. He can play for hours and won't do it. But he absolutely WILL do it when he's inbetween the walk/pace and trot :(

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
My puppy is the same. But I notice that he bunny hops when he's about to pounce on something, like you said with the ball, so maybe it's just a simple case of puppy behavior? Here's hoping anyway!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Our Jake does the bunny hop occasionally as well. He's had 2 orthopedic exams by the vet without any concern. He sounds alot like your Kaiser in that he runs, plays and walks without any issue but has the occassional bunny hop thrown in, Jake is only 16 months right now, so when he's around 2 I plan on getting his hips xrayed. If we're dealing with HD, I would like to know earlier in his life so we know what we are up against and I can start saving for the surgery.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Our Jake does the bunny hop occasionally as well. He's had 2 orthopedic exams by the vet without any concern. He sounds alot like your Kaiser in that he runs, plays and walks without any issue but has the occassional bunny hop thrown in, Jake is only 16 months right now, so when he's around 2 I plan on getting his hips xrayed. If we're dealing with HD, I would like to know earlier in his life so we know what we are up against and I can start saving for the surgery.
Kaiser is also 16 months but unfortunately we don't have an ortho vet around here. I don't plan on neutering him unless some sort of need to do so arises so to get him xrayed would mean a separate vet trip/sedation... which i hate the idea of (I hate putting any animal under, much less getting anesthetized myself! ) I know its the only way to be sure thOugh...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
31,717 Posts
Could be. Sounds a lot like Jax who has mild HD. Could be his back also. Try a chiropractor and see if that helps any. Do you have contract from him breeder?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Could be. Sounds a lot like Jax who has mild HD. Could be his back also. Try a chiropractor and see if that helps any. Do you have contract from him breeder?
No chiro out here either...we are very limited in resources unfortunately. Id have to take him to the vet school probably about 4 hours away or some place 1.5-2hrs away (if one exists that close). No contract regarding hips/back/etc. Even still I'd never trade him or give him back.

What supplements do you give jax?

·
Registered
694 Posts
You don't need an orthopedic vet to do hip x-rays. Most vet offices can do them. The average vet may not be the best at doing official hip x-rays for OFA or SV submission, but they can take ones good enough for you to see if your dog has a problem. You should get them done to eliminate that as a possibility, rather than just wondering/worrying about it.

·
Registered
31,717 Posts
No chiro out here either...we are very limited in resources unfortunately. Id have to take him to the vet school probably about 4 hours away or some place 1.5-2hrs away (if one exists that close). No contract regarding hips/back/etc. Even still I'd never trade him or give him back.

What supplements do you give jax?

Dasuquin and 2000 mg of fish oil. She also gets tracheas and poultry feet on a regular basis along with her RAW diet.

Your regular vet can do the xrays. Just make sure you make it clear that you want good positioning. I've seen both great and horrendous at my vet's office depending on the vet. Leerburg has a good page on positioning for xrays.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts