German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I came across this site looking for help on whether this bump on my dog’s snout is an insect bite. If it is, what can I do to help him? Your help is appreciated and I thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
6,981 Posts
I’d personally do nothing but monitor it.
It could be a number of things...
If it significantly changes in size shape or color, I’d see a vet.
If he’s rubbing or scratching at it, regular Benadryl may help... 1mg per pound, as can dabbing it a few times a day with witch hazel.

·
Registered
227 Posts
2nd Fodder's advice. Storm had a similar bump on the snout. It was a sebaceous cyst. We had a quick needle biopsy to confirm it wasn't more serious. Our Vet said we could either monitor it or do the biopsy if we wanted to be sure. We ended up draining/removing it in the end because it didn't go away and started bothering her. I imagine it felt like a painful, inflamed pimple toward the end. If I remember correctly, we did warm, moist heat to help it go down (rice-filled hot pack) twice daily. You can also send a picture to your Vet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’d personally do nothing but monitor it.
It could be a number of things...
If it significantly changes in size shape or color, I’d see a vet.
If he’s rubbing or scratching at it, regular Benadryl may help... 1mg per pound, as can dabbing it a few times a day with witch hazel.
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2nd Fodder's advice. Storm had a similar bump on the snout. It was a sebaceous cyst. We had a quick needle biopsy to confirm it wasn't more serious. Our Vet said we could either monitor it or do the biopsy if we wanted to be sure. We ended up draining/removing it in the end because it didn't go away and started bothering her. I imagine it felt like a painful, inflamed pimple toward the end. If I remember correctly, we did warm, moist heat to help it go down (rice-filled hot pack) twice daily. You can also send a picture to your Vet.
Thank you! I really appreciate the advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts