German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We noticed that Tucker had a bump on the top of his snout yesterday and became concerned. He does not show any pain when we touch the spot, it is hard like its part of the bone. There is no visual marks where he would have bumped or scraped it. We could not get a vet appointment until Wednesday so any insight on what it could be would greatly be appreciated. Pictures are below.

ImageUploadedByPG Free1366553033.671024.jpg

ImageUploadedByPG Free1366553057.018983.jpg

ImageUploadedByPG Free1366553074.503826.jpg

ImageUploadedByPG Free1366553102.866964.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
482 Posts
They're not snobs.

Thanks for all the input, must be a bunch of yuppie snobs on this forum.
They just don't have any input. I've owned dogs all my life and the only time I saw a lump on a dog's face was when the owner hit the dog with a four foot length of half inch diameter steel chain.

Maybe folks didn't want to accuse you.

LF

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Thanks for all the input, must be a bunch of yuppie snobs on this forum.

Hardly, I've been called a ******* plenty of times among other things. Normally I'm out doing other things on Sun, hate cellphones, and would rather just stay off the grid. For what's worth mine has a small bump on his nose as well, and it doesn't seem to bother him. Best advice I can give is if your that concerned let a vet check him out.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
That looks large enough I would do a vet visit, it could affect his breathing if it gets worse

It could be a infection, a insect bite, etc

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Let me consult with the rest of the Veternarians here and we'll give you our consensus.

How about a call to your Vet?

There are plenty of hardworking blue collar people here rubbing elbows with white collar and students as well as military. Don't paint everyone here with the same mile wide brush.

If no one answered your question maybe it's because no one has ever seen that short of a wack on the nose by a frustrated owner with no patients or understanding of the breed.

Hmmm....

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Search Evybear, she had the same thing w/her dog, took it to the vet...i believe she gave benedryl, no consensus as to what it was from the vet and I believe the swelling was acute (overnight).

Could be allergy, bumped it, vaccine reaction, fungal infection, tumour, grass seed lodged inside and infection set in

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Maybe try some warm compresses until you can get to the vet Wednesday.

Good luck! Hope it's no big deal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the responses and I apologize for the generalized statement I previously made. We are just real worried about Tucker and wanted some input quick. The bump does seem to be more on his right side top snout which makes me think there is something in his right nostril or an infection. Ill try the warm compresses. If it seems his breathing is getting compromised we will bring him to the emergency vet close by. Thanks again for the responses.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Could he have been stung by a bee? Or ate a spider? I give my dogs a benadryl every day for allergies, so you might want to call the vet to see if you can give him a benadryl to see if the swelling goes down. My cat eats spiders and his face blows up every time, he just don't get that they will bite.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The hardness of the bump makes me question whether its a bite or sting. I'd imagine it would have some softness if it were one of the two but I'm not ruling anything out. Benadryl is a good idea to see if it relieves some swelling. For the response of only seeing a bump on the nose of a dog due to owner abuse; what a worthless response. Ya I'm going to post pictures of my dogs nose that I hit or kicked and ask what it's from.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
did you start anything new - diet change, new treat, anything from the vet? what is your climate where you are, or where are you located better yet? Could be if spring and possible pesticides being applied to lawns, mold/fungas from all the plant decay over winter.

where I am we had a couple days of +20 C, and the temps dropped again - everyone one was out seeding their lawns

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
How's Tucker today?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The bump was noticeably smaller today not by much though. Still no sign of pain or discomfort from him which is good. I'm thinking of still bringing him to get it checked out Wednesday if there's still a sign of a bump. GatorBytes; weather here in Massachusetts has been typical beginning of spring, anywhere from 45-65 Fahrenheit, pollen has come out a little. No new diet changes, only change in anything was Tucker learning how to swim in a local pond last week. Maybe something got up his nose? We go on a lot of hikes also, we are assuming he bumped it somehow. I will update after the vet appointment if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Several years ago my parents dog got a spider bite on her snout looked very similar to your pictures. It went down after a couple of days. I know they took her to the vet, not sure what they gave her.

I would keep the appointment like you are. The vet will want to look up the nose & really take a look.

Well wishes your way. Please update your thread.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I ended up getting an appointment today at the vet. They cannot come to any definite conclusions without a cat scan or x-ray. From examining, the veterinarian seems pretty certain the bump is part of the bone. She ruled out an insect bite or infection because of the hardness and no signs of discharge from the nose or eye. She mentioned something about if his phosphorus/calcium levels are off or low his body could be taking the needed calcium out of his bones and a callus lump like this can occur. She then questioned my decision on how i dont feed puppy food or give vitamins. Another possibility she mentioned is its just how his nose is growing. I can rule that out because the bump appeared over night. So unless I want to pay 1500 dollars for a cat scan, all I can do is watch and make sure it doesn't get worse.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And just to vent a little, her hands on examination was about 5 seconds after she determined Tucker was "nervous" and "obviously doesn't want his face touched." It must of had nothing to do with us waiting in a 10'x10' room with the heat blasting for 25 minutes before she came in and Tucker not wanting to be in there anymore. 85 dollars down the drain in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts