German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I conducted a non scientific test :). Ever since we got our boy, we have had poop issues. Some were parasite related that have since cleared up, but for the last couple months, I was convinced it was food related.

Well, long story short, after we had fully transitioned to Orijen from Wellness and saw he was still having the pudding at the end, we decided to take away everything he could eat but Orijen. That meant treats and bully sticks.

We took away the treats first for one-two weeks and we still had poop problems. Then, we removed the bully sticks....and what do you know, perfect poo! :poop: It has been perfect now for almost a week!

Our next step is to bump him up to 4 cups (slowly) to see if he can handle that amount.

So now my question is, since bully sticks seem to be causing the stool issues, does that mean he is intolerant to all red meat? Or could it just be the dehydrated organ that is the cause?

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Bully sticks bother my dog in the same way. Can't tell you about meat, though. She's strictly on kibble.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Hmmmm I have not noticed this problem but Max just had a bully today. I will keep an eye out, I have noticed some stinky gas though. Not to bad but he usually is not smelly.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I used to give my dog the full bully stick and occasionally she would have loose stools, but now I cut them in half and she does fine with them.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I did the same elimination experiment myself- no bully sticks or chicken jerky treats, only homemade jerky and beef crunchies and had the same success! I think the jerky treats were the main culprit but I've cut way back on the bully sticks, maybe one every other week or so and replaced them with a Kong, elk antlers and a hoof. He seems to have lost his taste for them anyway- gave him one on Thurs and he's barely touched it.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
The bully sticks did the same thing to Shasta. But really, they were a mixed blessing with the nasty smell and all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts