German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 year old has recently started bullying our 6 month old gsd, boxer. I dont know what gives. We've had boxer since he was 6 weeks old and they've alway gotten along just fine.
Thor attacked boxer the other day and ever since wont let boxer in the same room as him/me. Not to mention Thor has started chewing up everything. The couch, kids toys....basically anything in sight. I don't know where my sweet and mellow tempered boy is :(
Any advice or simular situations?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
164 Posts
Can you tell if it's play or actual aggression? We have a 9 yr old Golden that our puppy GSD started attacking, nipping at sides and feet at first and went up to biting at the older dog's throat. I stepped in if and when it ever got that far and even considered rehoming if my older dog was going to be tormented by this new addition.

The puppy is still a bully and they growl and roll around a lot but there's never any damage since they both stop if there's any whining or if I tell them. All I can offer is what I did, watch them and if it gets into pain territory tell them "ENOUGH!" and separate them. We have a spray bottle of water and used it if the puppy was too focused to listen.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Normally they play constantly. Now that boxer is getting bigger their play has gotten a bit more rough, but the other day thor crossed the line with puppy. Out of nowhere he snapped and had boxer pinned on his back and wouldn't let off of boxers throat. Boxer was yelping and thor still wouldn't stop. I pulled thor off and he did it again. I put thor in another room so I could make sure boxer wasn't injured. Boxer hid and thor was let out of the room. When boxer tried to walk into the kitchen (where I was) thor charged at him and scared him away.
This has been going on for 3 days now. Although thor isn't being super aggressive he just wont let boxer around me. Thor has always been a gentle giant its just weird.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Thor is resource guarding. The resource is you. Search it here and you will find lots of suggestions. If you are not doing it yet, start NILIF.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Is Thor neutered and Boxer unaltered? Or are both unaltered, or are both neutered? Maybe be a hormonal thing, if Boxer is not neutered and Thor is, Thor could start to be feeling threatened by Boxer. Also could be Boxers "puppy license" has expired and does sound like resource guarding

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is Thor neutered and Boxer unaltered? Or are both unaltered, or are both neutered? Maybe be a hormonal thing, if Boxer is not neutered and Thor is, Thor could start to be feeling threatened by Boxer. Also could be Boxers "puppy license" has expired and does sound like resource guarding
They are both neutered.
I will do a search of this resource guarding. Thank you for the replies

1 - 6 of 6 Posts