German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He's a street-bred dog (village dog/potcake/pariah,tropical trail-mix, whatever) from the Dominican Republic--which means he had no experience playing with people until I got him. He's 2 yrs old, I've had him 7 months.
He had serious 'settling in' issues, shy/skittish/reactive/subdued/nightmares and sketchy interest in treats to none at all, even afraid of treat training (hand shy?). Anyway, that was the beginning--this is now.
I've been teaching him tug, and think it's coming along. You guys (especially the schutz/ipo folk) are experts in building drive so, heck, I hope you don't mind my asking for a critique.
Goals;
a) mutual fun,
b)enough drive to use toy rewards in training, probably agility
c) enough toy drive to exercise him in the woods (fat chance of that, but one can hope, right now--will NOT LOOK at a toy in the woods)
c)fun
d)schutzhund, just kidding, he's missing 3 teeth, one of which is a canine.

the toy is a tug/frisbee & treat toy (has a pocket for treats) as he would not engage with toys at all with me, and would not fetch either.

Oddly enough, he will do both (not as consistently) with my husband with a regular tug, and soft frisbee (in other words, it's possible he holds out for treats, but is also easilly distracted).

He has serious goes nuts brain turns off prey drive for wild things, so there's no lack of prey drive.

This video is a milestone, he's really hopping and tugging--critique me, how can I get him happier. I am very happy with him just as he is, but I'm worried about things like-- am I tugging too hard, not hard enough, going on too long, not long enough, etc.

Thanks, wonderful gsd hive mind.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Treats are an entirely unnecessary and actually to a certain degree disruptive part of what you were doing. Other than that I like the rest of it. Your tug play is nice and dynamic. You probably don't have to be as active as you are on the retrieving side of things, but if you like doing that then great. The dog enjoys playing with you. You can end a session on a cue and let the dog have the toy at the end if you want. Not all sessions need to end with you having the toy.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much @Baillif

He had almost zero interest in toys (hence the tug & treat). But now it is clear he likes tugging, but what to do when I go out, present a regular tug, and he goes 'meh'--which is mostly his reaction?

I don't mind using up some energy (me bouncing around) but would rather use up his, BUT if I don't skitter around, he'll lose interest too.

And again, thanks, it's an honour. I've been on this board a very long time (pesky password reset issue booted my old username out) so I trust your wisdom<--seriously, I really really thank you for your time. I've read many of your posts, seen you work your dogs (here, videos).

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
You have already created a desire for the interaction with tug games. Tug is a possession game with the aim being to win the toy. Once the dog knows that interaction it is just a matter of showing them that it can be played with another toy. You possess it and play keep away for a little bit (being careful not to frustrate and overpower the dog into quitting). Act like you're having the best time ever with it and it won't be long before they try to take it from you. After that it is game on.

They can get a little iffy at first when you're doing your first toy change but if you just keep going they pick up the new toy as well.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have already created a desire for the interaction with tug games. Tug is a possession game with the aim being to win the toy. Once the dog knows that interaction it is just a matter of showing them that it can be played with another toy. You possess it and play keep away for a little bit (being careful not to frustrate and overpower the dog into quitting). Act like you're having the best time ever with it and it won't be long before they try to take it from you. After that it is game on.

They can get a little iffy at first when you're doing your first toy change but if you just keep going they pick up the new toy as well.
Thanks so much.
I did not think he was ready to tug without the treat toy, but I took him out last night & this morning, and yep, he is ready.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts