German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know several of you started your dogs on Bug Off Garlic this year (my dogs have been on it for 6 years).

Any problems with ticks?

What about fleas?

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
no fleas, no ticks. nyet. nada. good stuff!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought maybe we could gather some unscientific data here on this board since many folks are seeing adverse reactions to the topical stuff.

My dogs have been on it for 6 years.

In 6 years I have found 1 tick total on a dog. We spend a lot of times in the woods and tall grass.

In 6 years I have had one flea infestation in my yard and my dogs did get fleas. Other than that I have only ever found one flea on all dogs total.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Originally Posted By: katielizno fleas, no ticks. nyet. nada. good stuff!
Ditto. Used it with advantix on Kayla until last fall. Use it exclusively without advantix/frontline/etc with both dogs since then and we have spent a lot of time in the local regional parks. So far so good.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I started using it this spring. I have never found a flea on my dogs (knock on wood), so there's no change there. Ticks are bad here, before the Bug Off Garlic I'd pick one or two off the dogs every couple of weeks. Since I started using it...I have not found a single tick embedded on any of the dogs. I also got my parents using it on their dogs, and I don't think they've found any ticks either.

Not very scientific but I am happy without ticks!

I haven't used any of the topical flea/tick stuff for years, but when I did, the ticks didn't seem deterred by it at all. I didn't notice a difference between when I used it and when I didn't...I realized I was putting poison on the dogs and never looked back.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
I started my dogs on it a few months ago and everyone was doing great keeping fleas/ticks off them (Actually only had a problem with ticks before. Didn't have a flea problem when I started them.) until I let my grandmas dogs sleep with me ONE night and Chance picked up 3 or 4 hitch hikers from her dogs. I brushed them out and thought they were gone but when I spent another day at her house a week later he picked up 3 more. I haven't seen any since getting them off (But also haven't been back to her house) and pray there aren't any but just in case I did end up using Advantage for the first time (After the first few were found but apparently it didn't keep the second 3 off) and now I've just been using Springtime garlic and apple cider vinegar in his food and each night I comb lemon water through his coat which seems to be working. Even the vet couldn't find any today so hopefully the little dfhsdkfasd are gone. >_<

I wouldn't consider my situation an actual flea problem though, just a few who hopped on from being around 5 flea infested dogs. I don't think they were biting and if they tried, I'm sure he tasted awful.

Though I've had luck keeping ticks off! Lol! Before I started I found a few on Chance after we'd go into the woods/tall grass areas and since using the Bug Off I haven't found any.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, that's it. I've been using it for 6 years but I knew some people on this board started using it this year so I wondered what kind of results people were getting.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Bump-- i'm also curious to hear what people think of this, and what sort of results they have had with it!

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
I started using the Bug-Off Garlic in March as I heard that CT was known as being super-tick-heavy. Risa has been getting it 6 days a week since (with the exception of a week when she was having GI issues again). I'd never used any sort of flea/tick preventative with Risa before. Never saw a flea or tick on her in Montana or while we lived in New York.

This year was pretty much the same. Never saw a bug on the Mutt. Though I'm not sure we ever were often in really tick-heavy areas. I do know one of the places we went for a 3 hour walk was a ticky area. But I never saw a tick.

If nothing else, Risa thinks garlic is super awesome. She drools in anticipation of getting it.

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
I've used this product for the past year now...same results as everyone else....AWESOME product. We are always out in fields tracking and around wooded areas every weekend. I have NOT found one tick on any of my dogs this year. Last year while on Frontline, I use to occasionally find ticks on them. I LOVE Springtime's products.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
We started it this spring and found two ticks on Rudy. Stopped using it around August and you guessed it, fleas last week.
We're back to Bug Off.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally Posted By: M&JWe started it this spring and found two ticks on Rudy. Stopped using it around August and you guessed it, fleas last week.
We're back to Bug Off.
It takes 3 to 4 weeks to build up in their system so don't expect it to help for a while. I've had the best luck with the NEEM dip/shampoo plus the spray for fleas.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Sound like good stuff!
And you dont use ANYTHING else on them?
My dog has a HUGE problem with fleas. Nothing seems to work on him.
Maybe Ill give this a try!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I used Bug Off since February till now and it worked very well, no ticks (we do have a lot of ticks here especially along the river and in the small pond with tons of high grass and different vegetation). I am very happy with the results and with the idea that I don't need to put pesticides on my dog.

We don't have fleas here so I don't know how it works on them.

I use joint supplements from Springtime as well, I really do like their products.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally Posted By: Angel RSound like good stuff!
And you dont use ANYTHING else on them?
My dog has a HUGE problem with fleas. Nothing seems to work on him.
Maybe Ill give this a try!
I've never used any of the pesticides on my dogs. Actually, I take that back: years ago I used some noxious flea tip stuff on my dog but in the past 20 years I've only used the natural stuff. I also feed high quality food.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
You've convinced me to try it! Heidi has been having major flea problems lately and Frontline hasn't done much the last couple times we've used it. Is the Springtime website the best place to get it?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Originally Posted By: Karin Is the Springtime website the best place to get it?
Yes it is and they are currently having a 50% off sale (Buy two get two free on the Bug Off garlic pills). It's pretty easy to plan your purchases around their special offers. Springtime special offers

1 - 20 of 48 Posts