German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kali was on metacam for her leg. when we were at the vet for the xrays etc, we decided that she did not have to be on it constantly right now. I mentioned aspirin and he said that aspirin was way worse than metacam. Well, we are going on a long drive tomorow with kali, and i am concerned for her comfort, but i will be leaving before i could get more metacam. What are other peoples experience with aspirin? do you think it would be ok to give it to her tomorrow just to help out?

·
Super Moderator
32,309 Posts
We had Cassidy on Ascriptin for a couple of weeks or so, and it did nothing for her either. We had to take her off Deramaxx due to rising kidney levels, and it was immediately clear she had to be on SOMETHING, so we tried Ascriptin. My vet had her on a 1/2 tablet either once or twice a day, I can't remember which. We ended up putting her on Metacam, which worked well.

I think it would be worth trying since you can't get Metacam.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Do you have to give her anything, maybe a comfortable spot with a hot water bottle under a cover? Hate giving anything a vet doesn't like.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
You can use low-dosage buffered Aspirin, such as children's Aspirin, in a pinch. It's not recommended for long-term usage, but works well as a pain killer and anti-inflammatory when needed. It's recommended that you use buffered Aspirin and give it with food to make sure it's as gentle on the stomach as possible.

The recommended dosage in adult dogs is 5mg for each pound of body weight, so a 64lbs dog would take 320mg of Aspirin, which is normally one adult Aspirin or 4 baby Aspirin (but make sure to check the individual mg dosage of the brand/type of Aspirin you have, to be sure it's the same).

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the comments.
unfortunately it is going to be a long car ride, so we will do our best for her but not alot of options for different positions. she does not appear to be in any pain, but she is one of those dogs that makes it very difficult to tell.
i will just give her a dose for the ride, and then talk to the vet on monday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts