German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall,

Brutus is doing just great. 10 months and 76 lbs. He is finally becoming more affectionate with us and we just love it. Along with this increase in affection has come him "fleaing" us? It usually happens when I am picking stickers off him or brushing him with my fingers (he is long coated) Sometimes he will do it to a design on a shirt I am wearing or seams on jeans, etc. I am assuming this is a behavior of affection/grooming because it is usually reciprocal to when I am grooming him 0:) It usually occurs when we are settling down also. He uses his front teeth only and nibbles very quickly. He gets a little excited though, and OUCH! those teeth pinch!

I do not want to dissuade him from showing affection whatsoever, but I would like him to nibble us a little more gently. If it is between extinguish the behavior entirely or put up with it pinching, I will keep the pinching lol. He doesn't draw blood or anything and I am 100% certain it is not aggressive or being bratty. Is there a way to get him to just tone it down without stopping it all together?

Thanks in advance, yall.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
My boy does this when you scratch him or brush him with a pinbrush. His doesn't hurt though.

Sometimes he will give toothy kisses and I have had good luck holding him back and saying "gentle" in a really low, calming voice. If he writhes trying to get me then no more kisses but if he responds to my tone and I can see him take it down a notch then I will let him come in and try another kiss and if it is truly gentle then I give a lot of very calm, low praise (so as not to praise him into excitement where the teeth come one again) while he kisses. I try to interceot as soon as I feel a tooth so he knows what the problem is.

Mine LOVES to love on us, so allowing him to give kisses is the only real reward he needs and not letting him do it is significant enough to him to make him rethink his methods.

Tone and the energy behind it seems important to me, I am always trying to teach him that when he is in that close proximity to my face he just has to be calm. I don't get near his level when I have just let him out of his kennel because he is too excited and I know it won't be good. I give him a few minutes to chill first

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My boy does this when you scratch him or brush him with a pinbrush. His doesn't hurt though.

Sometimes he will give toothy kisses and I have had good luck holding him back and saying "gentle" in a really low, calming voice. If he writhes trying to get me then no more kisses but if he responds to my tone and I can see him take it down a notch then I will let him come in and try another kiss and if it is truly gentle then I give a lot of very calm, low praise (so as not to praise him into excitement where the teeth come one again) while he kisses. I try to interceot as soon as I feel a tooth so he knows what the problem is.

Mine LOVES to love on us, so allowing him to give kisses is the only real reward he needs and not letting him do it is significant enough to him to make him rethink his methods.

Tone and the energy behind it seems important to me, I am always trying to teach him that when he is in that close proximity to my face he just has to be calm. I don't get near his level when I have just let him out of his kennel because he is too excited and I know it won't be good. I give him a few minutes to chill first

He sounds like a very, very sweet boy 0:) How old is he? I am wondering if a lot of it is just being young and excited. I will try backing him off with a gentle tone as you do with yours.. it's a good idea, I haven't done it because it hurts and I end up saying OWW! to which he nibbles faster like "Oh, that must be exactly where you need groomin' then" lol.

Oh yes, the kennel drama. Brutus can't control himself and will jump up and dig those big GSD nails in, so he knows he has to go straight outside now until he can collect himself. It works well for us!

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
The only thing I can think of is to use the word "Easy" when he gets a little too excited. It doesn't seem to take them long to pick up things like that. I have been using the term "no pull" with Newlie on a leash and it is very plain that he understands now because when I say it, I immediately feel the pressure on the leash decrease. He still occasionally will not respond, but it's not because he doesn't understand, it's because there is something more exciting up ahead...

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Yeah, my kid is SUPER affectionate. I love it. Much more aloof with strangers but he can't get enough of me and his dad. He will follow me around quietly while I am vacuuming and when I bend over he will sieze the opportunity to sneak in and plant a big wet one on me, which always makes me laugh, and when I look at him he is laughing too, I swear. You can't have a bad day with him around. He is only 1. I hope he doesn't grow out of it!

But yeah, high pitched noises do tend to excite them, and I really try to project that calmness in tone and even the way I move when I touch him when he is coming in close to my face, he seems to copy me and he will go slower and gentler. And of course, there are times I am just not doing face kisses with him because he is just too hyper/excited/ wound up, whatever. There are times you just can't go face to face with a 1 yr old GSD lol. As far as it goes mine has been quite gentle with his mouth.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Newlie, it is amazing how they do just pick things up. Brutus knows "Get off her head!" when he is jumping all over my older dog, and I never really taught him what it meant, he just inferred it and knows, much like your boy does with the leash :)

Cowboysgirl, I am jealous lol! He sounds like a real lover. Brutus has always been very obedient and shadows us, but has never really been snuggly or liked his face near ours, etc. One day he just decided that a few kisses are okay and once or twice a day we need to be groomed and he also likes to smush his face into my chest, roll over, and be the little spoon for just a few minutes. I hope he continues to develop more affectionate behaviors, but if not, we will admire him from afar and be happy he developed some at all :grin2:

Jenny, kanibbles is a really cute name for it! Haha, no, nothing soft about GSD teeth. I can see how with a softer mouthed breed it might actually tickle though!

I am sure I will get my "grooming" this evening. I am going to do as yall suggested and not let the pinch get the best of me, but quietly tell him "easy" like he knows for taking treats!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts