German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I've been a member for a few weeks now, ever since I welcomed my new puppy, L'Rell into my life. She is thirteen weeks old and, from reading other posts, is a very typical German Shepherd puppy. We are working through the landshark phase and to any other puppy owners in this phase, you have my sympathies.

I have a couple of questions/issues on grooming. L'Rell is a long-haired puppy, and when I try to groom her, she wants to play and bite with the brush. From reading other posts, the best thing to do is to just give her two or three brushes, let her calm down, and give two or three more (and reward good behavior). Is this pretty much the way to go? I have a Conair rake and a wide-toothed metal comb. Are there any comb/brush/rake recommendations that you guys have?

My other issue is tangled hair between her back legs, close to her genitals. These aren't mats, per se, but several strands of hair stuck together which may become mats over time. It's a very sensitive spot and I don't want to hurt her. I'm apprehensive about using scissors, as I don't want to cut her. Any suggestions about how to go about grooming and detangling that area?

Thank you for any help and advice!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I am also learning how to groom my German Shepherd. It is quite a change after a lifetime of lab and lab mixes.

What I have found worked best for us is to have Ole lay down on his side. One person slowly fed him part of his supper while another person gently brushed his coat. At first, I would just use the backside of the brush to get him used to it.

If I was on my own, I would probably run a string through a kong toy and tie the string to the foot of the bed to keep him still. I just put an old bedspread over the foot of my bed for a grooming table.

I am also curious about the genital area. The fringe behind his hind legs and his flanks is very thick. The undercoat is almost like a very loose felt. We worked through flanks with gentle frequent brushing, but he still doesn't like me messing around the fringes :(

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
All I do is stand next to them and either cup my hand under their jaw or slip a finger under the collar to gently stop them from turning their head. Maybe try a brush that doesn't pull for a little while to get her used to it. How is she with her nails? There's a certain balance of restraining them firmly but not fighting them that's hard to explain online.

·
Registered
15,931 Posts
This sounds silly but it works. Cornstarch worked into the fur as though it were powder - makes grooming a lot easier with coaties. Especially in dense hair areas (around genitalia0.

For grooming an adult coatie, I have mat splitters and matt rakes. If you come across a rubbermaid dog comb labeled for long coated dogs - buy it. They don't make them any more but they work great.

The key thing for me was the cornstarch. It really helped loosen the undercoat.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thanks,

The cornstarch works great on Ole's flanks and fringes. I think I have about half the dog, by volume, as I had two weeks ago!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts