German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks
So my puppy is a long hair male and is 5 months old and idk why but I never thought to brush him. He never really sheds so I guess that’s why I never thought of it

My questions are is brushing required? How often? And what kind of brush should I use? Also I’ve read it’s best to only bathe gsd 2 or 3 times a year due to coat oils is this true? Thx my German Shepherd friends!

·
Registered
863 Posts
That's what I do...I would wash mine 2-3 times a year. It really depends if he starts smelling really bad or he's visibly dirty. Brushing is not required, but I would do it while he's young. Get him used to that brush because if you start doing it when he's full grown and he doesn't like it, you're going to have problems (depending on the temperament of your dog). I brush everyday, just to get the loose hair from getting all over the place. He'll still shed but it'll be more manageable. If you don't brush and you pet or stroke your dog, hair/fur will come off in clumps in your hand.

·
Super Moderator
5,169 Posts
oh your pup will shed. I have a long haired and a stock coated GSD. I find that the long hairs get tangled together and do not fall onto the floor. I brush him every night and get handfuls of fluff. It is also a good time to check for scratches or bugs that you can't otherwise see. My stock coated gal's hair just gets loose and falls so I have much less hair on the brush from her. I only wash my dogs when they get smelly, which means only a few times a year. This summer it was so hot and humid out that my long haired boy decided he liked the shower! Most of the time I'd simply rinse him off with cool water with a hand held sprayer (make sure you have a really good drain screen). Big thirsty towels were a must since everything was wet once he got out of the shower.

For my dogs, I spoil them and give them treats throughout the brushing process. When my boy was a pup he thought that brushing was an invitation to wrestling. Took quite some time to convince him it wasn't.

·
Registered
863 Posts
oh your pup will shed. I have a long haired and a stock coated GSD. I find that the long hairs get tangled together and do not fall onto the floor. I brush him every night and get handfuls of fluff. It is also a good time to check for scratches or bugs that you can't otherwise see. My stock coated gal's hair just gets loose and falls so I have much less hair on the brush from her. I only wash my dogs when they get smelly, which means only a few times a year. This summer it was so hot and humid out that my long haired boy decided he liked the shower! Most of the time I'd simply rinse him off with cool water with a hand held sprayer (make sure you have a really good drain screen). Big thirsty towels were a must since everything was wet once he got out of the shower.

For my dogs, I spoil them and give them treats throughout the brushing process. When my boy was a pup he thought that brushing was an invitation to wrestling. Took quite some time to convince him it wasn't.
Yeah, we live in the same state. It was hot at times. (I actually thought the last few summers were hotter and more humid.) But for me, it was the constant rain we got this summer that brought out the smells. When he got wet, his natural odors came out more. While I wanted to wash him, it wasn't worth it because he was always wet from the rain. What I like about this pup is he's short haired or stock coated as you put it. He's much easier to dry off than the previous long haired one. His coat really does "shed/repel" water while the old guy was like a sponge.

On a side note, around 2 years of age, I started saving the hair/fur from (brushing) the previous dog until he died. Managed to fill up 1 whole lawn sized garbage bag of about 10 years worth of his hair. I had read about ladies who had made blankets, scarves, hats, etc. from dog's fur.

One more thing I wanted to add for the OP....some dogs love the brushing. It feels good to them. If your dog is one of those, it's another opportunity to bond with it.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Hi folks
So my puppy is a long hair male and is 5 months old and idk why but I never thought to brush him. He never really sheds so I guess that’s why I never thought of it

My questions are is brushing required? How often? And what kind of brush should I use? Also I’ve read it’s best to only bathe gsd 2 or 3 times a year due to coat oils is this true? Thx my German Shepherd friends!
You better start now or you may never be able to brush him.

We bath our GSD's every 2-3 months because they smell so good. After 2-3 months they don't. :grin2:

·
Registered
766 Posts
Your long-coat puppy is young and his coat is still developing. It may continue to change in length and texture throughout his life. If it turns out that he does not develop much in the way of guard hairs as a top coat, then he will collect dirt and should be bathed as needed. The soft, fuzzy areas around his ears and neck may develop mats as he gets older too, so start now with teaching him to get bathed and brushed using brief sessions and lots of positive reinforcement. You may want to get him used to having the long hair between his pads and around his toes trimmed as these are huge dirt collectors, especially in winter. He will shed, this is just the lull before the storm, so to speak. They aren't called German Shedders for nothing!

Reactions: tc68

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
I will brush them more if they are going through crazy shedding. I have seemed to get a break and it started back up. The summer was constant. I find they don’t smell so one to two baths a year if needed or between swimming and that is mostly just hose down. The water loosens the hair up. I hear blowers are very good to cut down the shedding.

·
Registered
16,066 Posts
My experience:
How to groom a long coat GSD with undercoat and guard hairs

(Groom dog both before and after a bath.)

Equipment:

undercoat rake
matt splitter/cutter
comb (best one I found was I think rubbermade especially for long coated dogs - whatever the brand it was discontinued) with two varieties of teeth
slicker brush
corn starch
light weight nylon shirt for groomer (can shake out dog hair easier)
perhaps an old sheet to stand the dog on if you are working over carpet

Procedure:
work in corn starch thoroughly as though it were powder (this works to make the undercoat release more readily)
If you have rats or knots around the ears or arm pits, be especially thorough in those areas with the corn startch. This is where you would gently use the matt cutter/splitter
Then use the undercoat rake "everywhere" there's a long coat You will have a big pile of undercoat
After that, use the comb.

Next you can use a regular brush (I left it out of the list of equipment)
Finish off with the slicker brush

Repeat at least weekly = happy, pretty dog, great piles of dog hair

1 - 8 of 8 Posts