German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!
This is my first post on this forum and I sincerely hope someone will be able to help me. My 9 years old dog had a laminectomy back in February. Though, according to his neurologist, the surgery went well he is still not walking normally. Or rather he walks on and off – one day he may be scuffing slightly, but walking nonetheless, the other day he would drag his hind legs and have problem standing up. As far as I noticed – there is no pattern in his behavior, it doesn’t depend on a weather nor it depends on how much he “walked” the day before. He is not overweight and rather on petit side, when the surgery was performed he was still walking on his own, slightly limping and barely scuffing. So, according to what we read he had a good chance of full recovery after the surgery. Since he started deteriorating so rapidly our neurologist ruled out the DM, and based on the MRI results determined it was no more than IVDD. Has anyone experienced similar problem? What was the time frame for your dog’s recovery after the laminectomy? Did you do anything besides general massage and water therapy (we are not doing it) to speed up the recovery process?

In addition, his hind legs are awfully bruised now. It took us a while to find the right boots for him (4 different vendors and 5 different pairs of boots later we finally found the boots that give him a good traction, support and prevent his paws from future bruising) and while he was “between the boots” he managed to bruise his legs. We’ve tried quite a few remedies from antibiotics to homeopathic – but nothing seemed to works. The bruises are not getting worse but definitely not getting better. Our vet is on vacation, schlepping him to the clinic is such a quest now so I was hoping someone one the forum having to experience the same or similar issue can help us.
Thanks you in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump.
Anyone, please help! Vet prescribed oral antibiotics and topical SSD cream that, from what we read, is used on burns only. Now one of his legs is badly swollen.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Has he had blood work done? This is serious, with the swollen leg. Dodger's List has a forum - it's mostly Doxies, but they really know back stuff. I would give them a try but very definitely take him back in for some blood work and to check that leg. Poor dog - I would also call the neuro vet. Good luck, let us know.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
If his leg is swollen and he is bruised you need to get back in to vet now. Things like clots or bleeding disorders post surgery can happen.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts