German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Female German Shepherd

i'm not sure if this is where to post to feel free to move.

I was browsing craigslist back home because i do that sometimes and i came across this add for a senior GSD. when you see the pictures you'll see what i mean when i said, i wonder what their other two dogs look like. poor girl has been severely overfed! I would take her home instantly and instantly put her on a diet! Poor girl. But, she's still smiling!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
OMG, she is so fat! Poor baby cannot be comfortable like that. I hope someone gives he a good home and puts her on a severely needed diet!

·
Registered
772 Posts
That poor thing! Those people should be ashamed of themselves. :( It says in their ad they need to save money. They could save some by feeding the dogs less!

Kristina

·
Registered
669 Posts
:eek:Wow.....one too many scooby snacks.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Oh when you said senior I was thinking like 9-10+... She's only 7, I know that is technically considered a senior but somehow it seems worse to have a 7 year old dog in that condition (less excuses)!

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Ewwww. I think I should print out those pictures and carry them with me for all the times someone tells me my dogs are "too skinny". I could ask them if they prefer that fat look in a dog instead.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i feel so bad for her. I've seen her posted a few times now. But if i bring another animal into the house right now, i think my husband would honestly divorce me lol. I can only imagine hip problems and elbow problems and just breathing must be an insane chore to do. Poor girl. She's pretty but she'd be gorgeous with the right weight on her. I really dont understand letting your dog get that way!!!! There's fat and then there's FAT! This poor girl is FAT! All because her owners either loved her too much or fed her so much to slow her down because they're lazy. I have NEVER seen a shepherd that large before and when i say large i dont mean big boned. I've seen a big boned shepherd. Dexter was MASSIVE but he wasnt fat in any way.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
32,297 Posts
Ya know, the bitch is fat. Maybe she has a thyroid problem. Maybe they just are feeding her to death.

It makes you wonder though. They get rid of her, and you know it'll happen, they will replace her. And they will abuse her with food just like they did this one.

I know it is about the dogs. But we do not buy from pet stores and BYBs because we do not want to enable them. Are we not enabling people when we get dogs off of Craig's List?

If you keep a dog until it reaches the ripe old age of seven and then drop it to someone with a soft spot for older dogs, well, just when the vet bills will become a factor, especially with one as overweight as this one, I guess this just rubs me the wrong way.

How can you keep a bitch for seven years and decide to give her up? It is hard enough when they are seven months old. I have rehomed one adult dog, and even that was no picnic because of how attached you become in four years. But at seven years, this dog is at her declining years. A family ought to be loyal to the elder dogs. Who else wants to take on a dog that will likely get a few serious illnesses and then die on you within the next couple of years.

These people need a good slapping around, one pounding for letting all that poundage accumulate on her, and another for trying to dump her.

Poor dog.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya know, the bitch is fat. Maybe she has a thyroid problem. Maybe they just are feeding her to death.

It makes you wonder though. They get rid of her, and you know it'll happen, they will replace her. And they will abuse her with food just like they did this one.

I know it is about the dogs. But we do not buy from pet stores and BYBs because we do not want to enable them. Are we not enabling people when we get dogs off of Craig's List?

If you keep a dog until it reaches the ripe old age of seven and then drop it to someone with a soft spot for older dogs, well, just when the vet bills will become a factor, especially with one as overweight as this one, I guess this just rubs me the wrong way.

How can you keep a bitch for seven years and decide to give her up? It is hard enough when they are seven months old. I have rehomed one adult dog, and even that was no picnic because of how attached you become in four years. But at seven years, this dog is at her declining years. A family ought to be loyal to the elder dogs. Who else wants to take on a dog that will likely get a few serious illnesses and then die on you within the next couple of years.

These people need a good slapping around, one pounding for letting all that poundage accumulate on her, and another for trying to dump her.

Poor dog.

My brother in law will be taking Shelby. Shelby is a year old. My nephew fell in love with her and she listens more to that little boy than she does to myself or my husband or even my own kids. I want to adopt a senior dog because i want to provide a good loving home for a dog that in all fairness didnt deserve to be shoved aside for a younger model. I knew a family once that as soon as their dog turned 6, they dropped him at the shelter and got another puppy all so they could avoid any possible senior dog vet bills. I cant stand that! This dog could have soooooo many years left ahead of her, especially if she dropped the weight and cleared all the tests for possible weight gain factors. It just really irks me that people have that mentality. My dogs are a member of my family. Generally if one of them needs rehoming, they still stay within the family. Shelby is going to be my nephews birthday present. I love her and she loves us but she and my nephew developed this connection that we all feel would be good to continue. Shelby is the first dog my nephew hasnt been terrified of. Riley is on a diet because he's gotten a little chubby. I'm not rehoming him because of it! People like that make me sick. I'm curious to know about their other two dogs though and why exactly they're getting rid of the shepherd. I'll miss Shelby but i'll still get to see her and she'll be even happier.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Thats one big bitch,lol and thats so not from lack of exercise- thats too much food all the way. I just don't get their reasoning- they intentionally bought three dogs and then decided it was too much so they get rid of the older one who has been there the longest and is most bonded? Thats pretty crappy and sad, but I know it happens all the time:( My motto on dogs is similar to my motto about kids- I have two eyes and two arms therefore anymore than 2 kids or 2 dogs is too much for me,lol

Maybe that girl has medical issues they are not divulging and they can't afford? My neighbor and I were just talking about this as their shepherd has nose/mouth cancer and my lab is rounding up at 8 years. They have spent over $3,000 on surgeries, but the tumors are growing back fast. They have decided to stop treatment as he is 10 yrs. and they simply can't afford it. Vet agrees at this point he is not responding to treatments so when he can no longer eat, run, play, and lets them know it's time they will have him euthed at home with the family:(

Then it made me think about my lab who has been the picture of health these 8 yrs. I know I won't rehome him if he becomes ill, but how far will I go to try and squeeze out another year? People rehome their senior dogs all the time knowing they can't afford to treat them and they just can't watch them suffer so they give them up:(

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats one big bitch,lol and thats so not from lack of exercise- thats too much food all the way. I just don't get their reasoning- they intentionally bought three dogs and then decided it was too much so they get rid of the older one who has been there the longest and is most bonded? Thats pretty crappy and sad, but I know it happens all the time:( My motto on dogs is similar to my motto about kids- I have two eyes and two arms therefore anymore than 2 kids or 2 dogs is too much for me,lol

Maybe that girl has medical issues they are not divulging and they can't afford? My neighbor and I were just talking about this as their shepherd has nose/mouth cancer and my lab is rounding up at 8 years. They have spent over $3,000 on surgeries, but the tumors are growing back fast. They have decided to stop treatment as he is 10 yrs. and they simply can't afford it. Vet agrees at this point he is not responding to treatments so when he can no longer eat, run, play, and lets them know it's time they will have him euthed at home with the family:(

Then it made me think about my lab who has been the picture of health these 8 yrs. I know I won't rehome him if he becomes ill, but how far will I go to try and squeeze out another year? People rehome their senior dogs all the time knowing they can't afford to treat them and they just can't watch them suffer so they give them up:(

my motto is my pets are my kids as well. If for any reason i need help, they can stay with family. We've had numerous kids in the family living with uncles and aunts and grandparents (i used to live with my grandparents) because for one reason or another parents couldnt handle it. Sad story though my cousins Kaitlin and Kristen, kaitlin wasnt the favorite and she was acting out in school because her mom treated her badly and didnt really know how to handle her (good kid, needed good direction) and she reminded her mom too much of her ex husband so Kaitlin got shipped to lived with my uncle and has blossomed. She's a mom now and doing fabulously.

I think when people get a pet, they forget that as they get older (even young one have health problems) the risk for cancers and such increases so when someone points it out, they decide they'd rather just get rid of a potential problem rather than wait and see. I dont know. Riley with all his allergy issues is with us for the long haul. if it gets to the point we're struggling we can turn to my inlaws for help in vet bills but we have it under control. he'll probably die at home when his time comes be it natural or euth. he may be a PITA but he's our PITA.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts