German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first we thought Rico was bit by a brown recluse spider because it had the open wound look at the center and it got to this point within 24 hours, starting as a small red thing. We then shaved around his whole neck exposing all of these lumps. They are kind of hard to the touch, almost like a full pimple ready to explode except there are no white heads and I don't want to squeeze them. Please take a look and let me know what you think. This Sucks!

ImageUploadedByPG Free1370995039.072074.jpg
ImageUploadedByPG Free1370995077.267381.jpg
ImageUploadedByPG Free1370995087.001446.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
31,710 Posts
That looks like infection to me. When Jax was bit and the infection was spreading, that's what it looked like after she was shaved. Get him to a vet

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
I would say get him to the vet too. Tell them everything too, let them see the collar he always wears and everything. A friend of mine was using a Bayer flea and tick collar and something like this happened to his girl.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
ouch:( Have no idea, but it does look like a vet visit is in order asap..hope it's nothing serious

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
You must go to the vet. Not sure what it is but it's infected. He needs a topical application applied & antibiotics. Ouch, looks very painful. I do think it's good you shaved the area.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We already took him to the vet and they gave him a shot of strong antibiotic, Benadryl, and chlorhexidine scrub. As I was typing this the vet just called to check and I explained all of the small bumps and they thought some sort of infection. Earlier at the vet, They wanted another $300.00 to sedate and shave the whole neck. I just had them shave the main area with the open wound.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Have you checked his whole body...any other areas? The infection is secondary. The vet had no ideas as to the cause? Is he itchy?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Aww poor baby, I hope he gets well soon & you get some answers to what it is...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you checked his whole body...any other areas? The infection is secondary. The vet had no ideas as to the cause? Is he itchy?
It's just around the neck, and the vet thought it was a secondary infection. No real idea to cause. Blood work came back normal. Not too itchy, just a little scratching. He is not going to town scratching.

·
Registered
31,710 Posts
My vet had me soaking the spot in epsom salt. Just make a batch up and wet a wash cloth. This will help soothe the area and bring the infection to the surface. Is he on an oral antibiotic?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Poor baby that looks pretty bad.

My sisters dog got bitten by a brown recluse. Some wooded area in NC. She was told to use 2 parts baking soda and one part salt, make a paste and apply to area. it got as big as 3/4", but it was just one bite not several like yours. Im pretty sure the paste mixture was for the burning and itching. Vet said to use some garlic also, but im not sure if she did and how that worked out.

My sister also told me to use olive oil if you find a tick on the dog. That the olive oil smothers the tick to make it easier to remove.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts