German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally after waiting over a month, we brought our 8 week old Sable GSD home yesterday. As we expected he has been a hand full but we are soooo happy to have him. He's very nippy and very whinny, again as expected. I have been reading the "Monks of new skeet" book and Im trying to do everything right.

Any tips and suggestions?
This isnt our first puppy but any experience is welcome!

·
Banned
377 Posts
I think you will learn more here than from the Monks' book.
I read it along with others and found this Forum to be
much more helpful.
Is this your first GSD? They are different than other puppies.
Welcome. There are a lot wise and helpful people to be found here.
(I don't necessarily include myself among them.)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
cute pup. looks big. unfold that towel under the bowls.
your pup needs more drip space. good luck.

·
Banned
377 Posts
cute pup. looks big. unfold that towel under the bowls.
your pup needs more drip space. good luck.
Forgot to say how cute the pup is. Hope to see a lot of pics with his growth and color changes. FWIW my dogs never dripped, don't know why...
maybe females have tighter lips(?)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wow adorable! I agree fold out that towel! Kratos washes my floor every time he drinks.This forum is a gem, all the members are worried about your puppy's health and generally the advice is sound (sometimes conflicting, but everyone has the pups interest at heart).

Also carry a toy with you everywhere. You never know when the shark will strike.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
soo cute!

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Congratulations! Looks like a handsome puppy. Like the colors. Also read the monks of new skete. Best wishes to you and your newest member of the family.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Forgot to say how cute the pup is. Hope to see a lot of pics with his growth and color changes. FWIW my dogs never dripped, don't know why...
gasp, my female leaves a stream of water so large I thought she peed on the ground multiple times until I saw it happen :rofl: You are very lucky you dont have a dripper

·
Registered
19,157 Posts

cute pup! definitely unfold that towel!! You'd think there was a rain storm in the house around the water dish here. Shasta dribbles a lot when she drinks. Zena was even worse!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Very cute pup, congrats.

When I first brought home Atlas at 8 weeks old, he would put one of his front paws in the water bowl every time he got a drink, then I had the wet paw aftermath in the kitchen. That only lasted a week :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all. So far, dripping is not a problem - im amazed. He is bitting a lot (as im sure all of them do), what is the best counter action to his puppyhood bitting?

I like to play with him, but he bites at my nose and face, which really hurts. But i dont want to stop playing and just give him a toy. how do I discipline, if at all?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Andcad, search in these forums for the terms below and read all the posts you can, and watch all the videos posted in them. There is a WEALTH of information here in compact form, and trust me, you'll need all of it.

landshark, puppy biting, nilif, crate training, socialization, exercise, stimulation, reactive, leash training

Good luck--and that is one adorable pup!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dont worry, we re on our 3 rd gsd; thats what they do as puppies. We picked up our pup, 8 week old, and hes very nippy, whinny. But be patient, unfortunately it will probably get worse before it gets better. Advise: tire him out as much as possible, try freezing a rag dipped in chicken broth, that will keep him busy for some time. Be patient, its worth it

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks to all, again. Im going to search for those topics now!

I want to make a little video to introduce him to the forum. Where would be the best forum to place it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts