German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just picked my pup (Koda) up yesterday and was given the vet records for him and it seems he was given the Duramune Max 5 shot at 5 and a half weeks! This seems very early, I want to follow the Dodds plan, how should I go about this now that I know Koda has had such an early 6-in-1 vaccination

·
Registered
952 Posts
So I just picked my pup (Koda) up yesterday and was given the vet records for him and it seems he was given the Duramune Max 5 shot at 5 and a half weeks! This seems very early, I want to follow the Dodds plan, how should I go about this now that I know Koda has had such an early 6-in-1 vaccination
Schedule an appt with your vet for his initial check up and the vet will tell you what the next step is in vacs.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Typically the vet is not going to have just distemper and parvo vaccines and if he gets them, you will find them to be quite expensive and I have never seen them available on the open market without buying multiples. If you go to a holistic vet you are more likely to find the separate vaccines.

Honestly, I like Dodds but I am glad Beau got the DAPP because heptatitis (the A) is coming back into the US across Mexican and Canadian borders. Stay away from lepto, the DAPP is a modified live vaccine and is safer.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Typically the vet is not going to have just distemper and parvo vaccines and if he gets them, you will find them to be quite expensive and I have never seen them available on the open market without buying multiples. If you go to a holistic vet you are more likely to find the separate vaccines.

Honestly, I like Dodds but I am glad Beau got the DAPP because heptatitis (the A) is coming back into the US across Mexican and Canadian borders. Stay away from lepto, the DAPP is a modified live vaccine and is safer.

Yep my breeder (Tracy Bullinger Shepherds) is a minimalist when it comes to shots. I asked my vet about just the parvo & distemper vaccines. Lisa the tech told me they don't get the individual ones. Then said how many of each she would have to order. They agreed to do titer testing (I think it's called) next year..... My vet is actually a holistic alternative therapies vet in addition to all the traditional things....

It's funny because after I gave him the handout Tracy gave me. He was saying his Mom is an MD. But she raises Labs and they argue all the time over what and what shouldn't be given. Vets Mom agrees with my breeder.....

·
Registered
423 Posts
I just looked in my vet records. I thought so. My vet actually recommends doing the distemper/Parvo titer testing on older dogs like my Kaos so that was what he was on.....

Havoc got the Distemper/Parvo/Corona/L4 & then the Rabies when he was old enough....

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Normally if first vaccine is given so early a lot of vets recommend starting the booster series over and still giving 3 more.

Berlin got his first round at 7 weeks, so once I got him I gave him 3 more at 9, 12, and 15 weeks. Of course he is in a vet clinic all the time so his exposure is much higher.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
504 Posts
Puppy vaccines have nothing to do with giving a 3 or 4 "series." As long as they are given one inoculation and a booster 3-4 weeks later that is around 16 weeks of age the vast majority are good to go. It's no different than adult dogs with no vaccine history, you don't do a three vaccine series, you give an inoculation and a booster. The reason we begin giving vaccines at 6-8 weeks is in case there is a slight chance we might overcome maternal immunity and immunize the pup, but usually that doesn't happen. So we give a vaccine every 3-4 weeks until around 16 weeks since research has shown that puppies' maternal antibodies have decreased enough to make the vaccine effective in at least 99% of the population at 16 weeks old. THAT it the reason for a supposed "series," so if vaccines started at 6 weeks, then yes, you should end up giving 4 total. If not til 8 weeks, then 3, and if not started until 12 weeks or older, then just 2 should be fine.

Vets do not do a good job of explaining this obviously since so many people I come across think they just start at 6 weeks and give a 3 vaccine series and they are good....I would never give the last vaccine at 12-13 weeks, and people think I'm trying to take their money when I am explaining this. Puppy owners go and get their panties all twisted when the breeder gives the first vaccine then they take their pup to the vet a few weeks later for vaccines and are told they need 3 more, they think we are discounting the vaccine the breeder gave and "starting the series over" when that's not the case whatsoever and inaccurate logic completely. It's extremely doubtful a 6 week old pup who's barely even been weaned will respond to a vaccine in a way that actually protects them, so essentially it's a wash regardless of who gave it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts